M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Skyroof Quick Fix (Clicking sounds etc.)15 minutes!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99 ML 430
Thumbs up Skyroof Quick Fix (Clicking sounds etc.)15 minutes!!

Guys,

I'm so excited to tell you that I have figured out the problem of the Skyroof! Yes, with out going to the MB dealer and spend $$$$ you can just do this for FREE, yes FREEE and 15 minutes of your time, that's all.

So I was upset that my Skyroof was making a clicking sound, which is a common problem to the Skyroof. So I put my gloves on and went in for the team!

First step:

I took out the cargo light cover.

Second step:

I unscrewed the motor to the right side of the ML, if your looking at you car from the rear, its the cream coated one. The black one is to your left.

Third step:

Once you’ve taken this out, you will see black/grey debris on the motor. THIS IS WHERE the clicking sound is coming from, from all the years of opening and closing it has accumulated debris which prevents the motor track to have traction on to the rail. That was it!!!

Fourth Step:

Clean it off and pop it back in. Now if you don’t do this, in time the motor track will loose traction and it will start to slip which will make the clicking sound, then you will have to replace BOTH the motor and the tracks. It has nothing to do with the entire roof.

I hope this helps to the ML owners who have this, even if you don’t hear the sounds just once in awhile you should clean it.

I’m so happy that the sound is gone.

I will post pictures of this tomorrow, which refers to the numbers above. My sever is down today.

Always helping out ML!
andaya
Attached Thumbnails Skyroof Quick Fix (Clicking sounds etc.)15 minutes!!-glance.jpg  

Last edited by andaya; 08-26-2004 at 04:51 PM.