M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML430 2001 pics ! signal lights all flash as if emergency switch is on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 11:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 SLK 320
ML430 2001 pics ! signal lights all flash as if emergency switch is on

Is new to this forum guys but not to the site. Have owned many Benz models. I just purchased an 01 ml430 with some issues.

Some odd electrical stuff going on. Found several blown fuses. Replaced them and things are coming back.

the odd issue I can’t sort out is when I have the turn signal pointing left or right all of the signals flash. Also both signals on the gauge cluster illuminate as if the flashers are in but they are not.

also seems that with running lights on every bulb in the tail lights is on accept one. Is this normal ? I’m thinking no but I have to look into it a bit more as I have just started with this truck.

I’m thinking I have a short somewhere that probably lead to the blown fuses.

could this be the AAM module ? Seems that the light relays may be tied to this module not sure ?

I have added some pics. Truck only has 100k miles on it. It’s in pretty good shape other than the issues I am dealing with and a damaged gas tank that needs to be replaced.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Why are you showing photos of your car? You should be showing how it is flashing.

What fuses were blown?
Old 01-03-2021, 10:42 AM

SL55 SLK 320
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Why are you showing photos of your car? You should be showing how it is flashing.

What fuses were blown?
Flashes like the hazards are on.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by wrightbenz
Flashes like the hazards are on.
Then upload a short video clip, or a link to one.

In the meantime, any past water damage in the passenger or ds footwell? (possibly due to clogged sunroof drains and/or separated drain line in the headliner hand grab area of both sides or at the elbow connection in the side kick panels of both sides.
also, check the 2ndary fuse box in passenger fusebox for any past water damage.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:46 PM

SL55 SLK 320
Originally Posted by khomer2
Then upload a short video clip, or a link to one.

In the meantime, any past water damage in the passenger or ds footwell? (possibly due to clogged sunroof drains and/or separated drain line in the headliner hand grab area of both sides or at the elbow connection in the side kick panels of both sides.
also, check the 2ndary fuse box in passenger fusebox for any past water damage.
No obvious water damage. Again think of what happens when you turn in the hazed light. The two signals in the cluster flash and all of the signals at all four corners flash right.
this is what happens when I select left or right turn signal every signal and cluster flashes. Seems to be a short between the hazard circuit and the turn signal circuit.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:19 PM

SL55 SLK 320
Well things are not going well. I was digging around and the main interior dash wiring harness is damaged. I found several melted wires in several locations along the harness.
im certain the sellers were aware of this because I can see someone was there before I was. It’s really not nice of people to pass things like this along without being upfront about it.
nine times out of ten they neglect to be honest. Anyway I’m not sure what to do now. It’s not like this truck is worth a bunch of money and replacing this harness will he more trouble than I had planned on investing.
I may have no choice now though.

has anyone changed this harness before. This is the one that comes in near the left foot well and runs across up to the gauge cluster and many other areas of the dash I imagine.

I took a quick pic probably hard to see how bad it is.

I may get away with cutting out the damaged wires and replacing not sure yet.