M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Ml320 Mudguard fasteners.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML500,2005 Toyota 4Runner, 2006 F150 King Ranch, Kawasaki ZX1400 Ninja, 1978 Jeep CJ7
Ml320 Mudguard fasteners.

Anyone put on a set of mudguards, on a 1999 Ml320, or have any pic of what the fasteners from the factory look like? I recieved mine today, less the fasteners, and would like to know what I can substitute with.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
ML mudflaps are a joke. You couldn't get them to stay on WITH the proper fasteners. The front one likes to pop out a little where the tab sticks through the body work, which causes the tape to peel off, soon its dangling again. The rears drag the ground and fall off, but at least they have the cable attachment so they bounce on the road behind you and don't get completely lost. Stay away from mudflaps!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The front ones have a small metal bracket that mounts to the body, then you put two metal screw clips at the bottom at the wheel house cover. Then peel off the tape and stick your mudflap on the body. Use two phillips screws on the bottom to hold it to the bracket and you need two metal clips that will hold the top of it down when you roll the rubber flapsaround the fenders edge. The rear is held on by six screws and screw clips. You do have to trim the wheel house cover at the rear to get it to fit. Their is a cut line on the wheel house cover so you know where to cut. You should also get the screws to hold the cable down. They are not fun to put on and you need to clean the bumper and body area with alcohol before you put it on. I might can get you the part numbers for these items if you need them. Autogunner.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:51 PM

2002 ML500,2005 Toyota 4Runner, 2006 F150 King Ranch, Kawasaki ZX1400 Ninja, 1978 Jeep CJ7
Thanks, Autogunner for the positive feedback. I have access to the screw kit (used to come with mudguards), but instead of waiting around for a week or so, thought I would try and find a picture/schematic of the install itself.
I have the tools and facility to do the install, and am thinking of installing them with a more proper method using stainless screw/brackets, instead of Mickey Mouse clips etc. Just the mounting points is important. The cable on the rears, does it go to a small threaded stud up above the wheel well? I see one on each side there, just to the rear and at the main body/subframe area.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:29 AM

Yes it has a metal nut that holds it on the stud you are talking about. Also I was going to tell you on my first post that the rear flap clips go on first, their are six marks on the rear bumper edge, this is where the clips go, that will line up your flap with the bumper. Autogunner.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:01 PM

Thanks Autogunner. Will have a lok at whats to do, and see what else can be done to make it a better install, if need. I am thinking of cuting a small peice of thin guage stainless steel, and using it for a backer, then install the flaps with screws through it. Will have a look and thanks again.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:49 PM

ML 320
Thumbs up Mud Flaps

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
ML mudflaps are a joke. You couldn't get them to stay on WITH the proper fasteners. The front one likes to pop out a little where the tab sticks through the body work, which causes the tape to peel off, soon its dangling again. The rears drag the ground and fall off, but at least they have the cable attachment so they bounce on the road behind you and don't get completely lost. Stay away from mudflaps!!!
I have the rear Mud Flaps on my ML for the past 2 years with 0 problems, which includes driving in heavy snow quite often.
They were not hard to put on, I think it took less than 1/2 hour total for installation.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Well having installed many sets, and having had to reinstall MANY MORE sets, I feel qualified to say they aren't worth the hassle. My experience isn't based upon one single ML that managed to keep all its flaps, its based upon the many that have shed thier flaps. We aren't usually priveliged to know when they came off, or what the customer was doing when they came loose. We get a repair order that states BLANK mudflap is falling off (again). I am glad you are having such luck with yours, but it really is a poor design IMHO. Sticky tape and cheesy clips just don't hold.