M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Water Pump noise? (2003 ML500)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML500
All right. The saga is nearly finished (I hope!). Buttoned up most of everything. But, I've run into a snag.

Looking over my work, I discovered there's a missing bolt to the 7 o'clock position below the crankshaft pulley, and next to the hose pipes coming off the bottom of the water pump.

Purchased a copy of the Mercedes WIS off EBAY. But, the guy hasn't sent me the download link yet. Could someone tell me what size this should be so that I can go out and buy a new one, and get this job finished?

I was careful to make a cardboard diagram, and place the bolts where they came off the car, and I believe all the holes are accounted for that hold the water pump onto the vehicle. Is this one of the 4b bolts? If so, I know its an E10. But, what is the length? This is the size that has something like seven of the one size.

Thanks for all the guidance and help you guys have given me. Hoping this thing will be done in the AM!!

Robert

Old 03-04-2021, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
M/B does not show what size bolt goes into every hole.

Is this the bolt that is missing? If so, pick one of the bolts that you have already removed and see if you can screw it into that hole.

If you can, then you will have to buy ONE of each bolt listed to see which one is correct.

If you can't screw any bolt into the hole, it means that the bolt was previously broken and not drilled out & replaced. Big problem. But you would still have to buy ONE of each bolt listed to see which one is correct.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:32 AM

2003 ML500
Thanks again for the response. Yesterday morning I bought one of the smaller bolts, figuring that was the one that was missing. When I got underneath the vehicle to put it in, I noticed a bolt head shadowing what I was illustrating in that photo (you couldn't see this one in the photo), so it turns out that didn't have anything to do with the water pump issue.

Put coolant in the car and was able to drive it to work after bleeding the system, and then topping it off once on the way (obviously I didn't bleed it enough), and then checked it on the way home, after it had cooled enough. Will check it again this morning before going anywhere.

So far no leaks that I can see.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:13 PM

2003 ML500
The deed is done!

Got everything bolted and back in the car last Thursday, and been driving around since then. No apparent leaks that I can see.

After bleeding it had to pull over to the side of the road on my way to work so I could add more coolant. Guess I hadn't bled the system nearly enough when I was adding coolant back into the system. Then, I checked before heading home, and had to top off the overflow reservoir again. Haven't had to add any more since then. While the temperature gauge hasn't skyrocketed like it did before when sitting in traffic, it still runs nearly at 100 when I'm in stop and go traffic, which makes me nervous. Someone had suggested the electric fan is probably in need of replacing; and frankly it's the only part in the cooling system that I think I haven't replaced, other than the temperature sensor and auxiliary coolant pump.

Thanks all for the help and virtual handholding along the way. This was my first solo repair on this vehicle, and I couldn't have done it without this Benz community and YouTube. :-)

Next up will be the back brakes, which I'm trusting won't be nearly as hard based on the front ones, which a friend and I worked on last year.

Robert
Old 03-11-2021, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
When the temp. gets to 100°, stop the car, leave the eng. running, open the hood & see how fast the fan is running. It should be running at high speed.

Are you using GOLDEN or GREEN coolant?

Last edited by Maj. Dundee; 03-11-2021 at 06:20 AM.