M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML270 cdi brake pedal creep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w163, cl203
Question ML270 cdi brake pedal creep

Hi all,

Ive recently replaced all the metal brake pipes/hoses/front disks, pads and one of the front calipers (piston was seized) plus- rear brake pads, handbrake cables and shoes on my 2003 w163 ml270cdi - As the pipes and handbrake failed the MOT. Whilst working on it i realised that the brake system needed a huge overhaul..Hence all the extra stuff..

Now, after bleeding up the system im finding that the brake pedal slowly creeps down to the floor when the engine is running.. (the pedal doesnt seem to do this when the engine is not running) Ive bleed over a litre of fluid through the system but to no avail- the pedal still seems to 'creep' and i obviously cant put it in for a mot retest with the pedal like this.. - There are no obvious brake fluid leaks, all unions are up nice and tight..and ive run out of ideas of what to do next.. it braked fine before replacing all the parts- it still brakes fine now (doesnt pull to one side or act strange) its just the brake pedal creep- which wasnt there before all the brake replacement?

I've read somewhere that the ABS module needs to be cycled on STAR (or other obd2 scanners with the function..) just incase there are air bubbles trapped in the module? (I foolishly disconnected all the pipes to and from the module to make removing the four 'feed' pipes to the wheels easier to undo- really wish i'd kept the two master cylinder pipes connected now.. ) - Can anyone confirm that this 'cycling the ABS pump' might be what's needed? and if so, can anyone recommend someone who could do this - I am based in Pembrokeshire, West Wales, UK..

Other than that, any ideas for a remedy? as im losing the will to live with this car now.. lol
Old 04-13-2021, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
You must find someone who has a scanner which can perform Auto Bleed. After auto bleed, 4 wheels must be bled.

The following users liked this post:
Stevedeh (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w163, cl203
Thanks @Maj. Dundee I will see what i can find and give that a go..