M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Indicator Light on Speedometer/Odometer Face?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Question Indicator Light on Speedometer/Odometer Face?

On the face of my speedometer/odometer display there are two items not mentioned in the owner's manual.

The first is a rectangular box/indicator below MPH and above miles. I believe it shows LIM or LTM on a yellow background.
Does anyone know what this is?

To the right of this is a yellow dot/light. What does this indicate?

Thanks for the help.

Mark
Old 09-10-2004, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
rectangle is the esp. it illuminates when traction is slipping or when you switch it off. the little dot is light sensor.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
I thought the ESP indicator was the exclamation point inside the triangle at the top of the dial..........
Old 09-10-2004, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
whoops, i thought that was what you were talkin about.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the LIM indicator is definately for other countries. My THEORY (not proven fact) is that it is for the gulf states, which have an 80 MPH warning chime. At least this is listed in the version coding options in SDS. Never tried it, never cared to. It does not apply here in the states therefore means nothing to us. It is pretty interesting to see some of the options benz offers people in other countries though. Sometimes we can change things like make the alarm beep at you when you lock your car and various other features by changing the country coding. Also affects seat belt warnings and how they are carried out. There are also ways of turning off the check engine light.... Permanently. Doesn't come on for the bulb check though, so a smart customer would notice, and also is now required to illuminate for state inspections where I am, so you can't do that. I never have done it, but know that on some cars it can be done. You can also turn off the "loose fuel cap" messages by fooling around in the programming.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:42 AM

The LIM system is basically a cruise control in reverse. You set it by pushing in on the cruise toggle arm, it starts off at 30 KM if you push up on the toggle it goes to 40 km if you push forward it will go up one km, pull back it decreases and if you push it down it will turn it off. LIM is a limiter that ever what speed you put it at it wont let you go over it unless you turn it off or you floor it and go into passing gear that also will turn it off. When the LIM is off the toggle arm works as a regular cruise control system. This option is NOT avalible on U.S. Canadian or Mexican Mclasses. Autognner.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Speedtronic

Yes. The light in the stalk will turn on (see pic) when Speedtronic is on.