M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

How does teleaid work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 02:53 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
How does teleaid work?

Anyone use their teleaid system? I tried setting it up the other day and got cut off about 8 times due to poor signal. The agent said I should get it checked out. But I still don't understand how it works. They said I get 1 year free, but only thirty minutes of airtime. Anyone knows what that means? My sales person obviously knows nothing about it since he said 'don't worry about the thirty minutes and give me your credit card number to set it up".

Will someone please help...
Old 09-10-2004, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
teleaid utilizes nothing more than a cellular signal. If you are not in an area with a cellular signal, you are out of luck.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:15 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Teleaid is "free" for the first year. After 30 free minutes there is a charge for certain uses (directions, concerge, etc.). On first year anniversary you will be charged (on the credit card you gave the dealer) for a renewal ($245 I think). BTW, the initial set up call is deducted from your 30 minutes. The Teleaid guys like to keep you on the line for as long as they can to eat this time up. In set up just give them the data they need and say "BYE".
Old 09-10-2004, 08:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Tele aid has several packages available. I don't know what they are off hand.
There is a toll free number you can call to check and adjust your account. Look on the MBUSA website and find it, I can't be 100% sure on it and don't want to give the wrong info.
Tele aid uses GPS and analog cellular service, its linked to the push buttons overhead, and the radio, and the SRS system, and the alarm system. Push a button, make a call to roadside, customer assistance, or the emergency help center. Crash your car, and deploy the SRS system; it will call automatically. There is a backup antenna in case the primary gets damaged. GPS allows the operator to pinpoint your location and send help quickly. The radio automatically mutes during a call, and you can adjust the tele aid volume using the radio volume knob.
Those of us with the SVC button that can get traffic and weather info, stock reports etc.... the system uses tele aid to obtain that information. The service is being discontinued due to lack of interest.
It is not uncommon to have a malfunctioning tele aid control module, particularly on earlier models. They are expensive. Also the GPS antenna could be faulty and there is only one. Make sure the system works periodically by placing a test call.
If you need assistance setting up tele aid, see the dealer or call customer assistance hotline.
Some versions can unlock your doors for you too, but that feature isn't all that reliable.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by hecdog
Anyone use their teleaid system? I tried setting it up the other day and got cut off about 8 times due to poor signal. The agent said I should get it checked out. But I still don't understand how it works. They said I get 1 year free, but only thirty minutes of airtime. Anyone knows what that means? My sales person obviously knows nothing about it since he said 'don't worry about the thirty minutes and give me your credit card number to set it up".

Will someone please help...

First of all, YOU HAVE TO ACTIVATE IT by pressing the SOS button and following the instructions. Once activated you can use it for a variety of things, most given in earlier posts. Yes, you do have 30minutes, but unless you use it all the time, that's plenty. You can use it for practically ANYTHING you can use your phone for. You want pizza, call in!!! You want directions, just call in!!. Mechanical trouble? NO, don't waste TeleAid time, use the "i" button instead. It goes through the TeleAid system, but the charges may be different. Keep in mind that some services carry additional charges.

The best features of the system: if your airbag deploys for any reason, they'll locate you and send help, if the vehicle is stollen they'll track it and save your behind.

Need more info, go to MBUSA.com.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Darkmann
First of all, YOU HAVE TO ACTIVATE IT by pressing the SOS button and following the instructions. Once activated you can use it for a variety of things, most given in earlier posts. Yes, you do have 30minutes, but unless you use it all the time, that's plenty. You can use it for practically ANYTHING you can use your phone for. You want pizza, call in!!! You want directions, just call in!!. Mechanical trouble? NO, don't waste TeleAid time, use the "i" button instead. It goes through the TeleAid system, but the charges may be different. Keep in mind that some services carry additional charges.
I'll check out MBUSA.com, but It's still a bit confusing. For instance, on my Escalade, there's only one Onstar button for everything. The yearly fee is for EVERYTHING unlimited. You can buy minutes, but that's only for using the phone. You mentioned not to waste "teleaid" time...which button is that? You said use the "i" button instead---I thought that WAS the teleaid button.
Why three buttons? Aren't they all going to the same place? Which button charges and which one doesn't?
Old 09-11-2004, 05:49 AM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
I'll check out MBUSA.com, but It's still a bit confusing. For instance, on my Escalade, there's only one Onstar button for everything. The yearly fee is for EVERYTHING unlimited. You can buy minutes, but that's only for using the phone. You mentioned not to waste "teleaid" time...which button is that? You said use the "i" button instead---I thought that WAS the teleaid button.
Why three buttons? Aren't they all going to the same place? Which button charges and which one doesn't?
Why are you comparing apples to oranges? onstar works their way and teleaid works another
Old 09-11-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by kort677
Why are you comparing apples to oranges? onstar works their way and teleaid works another

I only made the comparison in an effort to understand teleaid. I'm having sincere trouble deciphering it's functions, wise guy. The manual and sales people are not helpful. Most members on this forum, in turn, are very helpful.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 ML 350
In any event, not worth the $$$$
Old 09-12-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have to disagree.... You are traveling alone, and have a serious accident for whatever reason. You are severely injured and nobody is around for miles. What price is your life worth? A few dollars a month to have help waiting on you, even when you are unable to call is valuable indeed. This system has saved lives and will continue to do so.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
I would have to disagree.... You are traveling alone, and have a serious accident for whatever reason. You are severely injured and nobody is around for miles. What price is your life worth? A few dollars a month to have help waiting on you, even when you are unable to call is valuable indeed. This system has saved lives and will continue to do so.
This is true. It's worth it. Especially for more severe accidents where the driver is knocked unconscience.

Yesterday I spoke with a representative and she explained the way they work and charge. Basically, ANYTIME you speak with a representative through either of the three buttons you are paying a per-minute charge of $.42 cents a minute. The yearly fee simply allows you access to the system. There are some package deals you can get, like unlimited directions for $75, but you'll still pay the $.42 a minute that AT&T is supposedly charging teleaid.

One way around it is to call the 800 number and talk to them via cell phone, but that'll only work for basic information, they won't give you much help without calling through the teleaid buttons.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. Basically the TeleAid system consists of four types of response:
1) Automatic emergency - system will bail you out if your airbag deploys for any reason, this is very good
2) Manual - you press SOS and talk to a person for any reason whatsoever, closest restaurant, your mother's birthday, etc, etc
3) Roadside Assistance - press the "wrench" button and you get connected to a MB tech for roadside assistance. This is good but you will be wasting SOS minutes if you use this option. Instead, use your cell phone and dial 1-800-FOR-MERC. You get exactly the same service. Remember, you have 30 minutes/year free on SOS. Even at that, you may still get charged, depending on what service you request. I got charged for requesting directions, while I was still within my annual 30 minutes!!! That was because I declined the "Route Guidance Service" option when I signed - additional cost, of course. How they determine what's chargeable or not, I don't know. I'm sure it's buirried in the fine prints when I signed on!!
4) Information: Press the "i" button for all sorts of information.

Now, after the first year (or 30 minutes), you renew the system and the charge schedule changes. I don't recall the details, but the yearly charge and the additional minute-by-minute charges after a fixed charge call duration was a glorified and expensive phone service, so I dropped they system. I do maintain that the auto response and vehicle tracking features of the system are worth keeping. I do have other options to saveguard myself and my occupants, so I'm not that much worried about letting TeleAid go.