M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

change exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
change exhaust

hey guys I found this forum last night searching the web and I must say it's a pretty kool place. Information is there and people seem to be very knowledgeable which is great. Anyways I have a 1999 ML320 with approx 120,000 , took delivery in Sept 1998 so I've had it forever and I have a few questions about it. My exhaust has cracked and it's making a horrible sound. Went to the dealership and they're charging 1650.00$ for a new one, so instead of getting it from them I was thinking of putting an aftermarket exhaust. The problem is I dont know which one is the best and I want to spend < 2000$. Could you guys help me out and point me in the right direction. Also what shop do you guys use to install your aftermarket products. I'm in fairfax county. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:09 AM

03 ML500
Originally Posted by islooevolution
hey guys I found this forum last night searching the web and I must say it's a pretty kool place. Information is there and people seem to be very knowledgeable which is great. Anyways I have a 1999 ML320 with approx 120,000 , took delivery in Sept 1998 so I've had it forever and I have a few questions about it. My exhaust has cracked and it's making a horrible sound. Went to the dealership and they're charging 1650.00$ for a new one, so instead of getting it from them I was thinking of putting an aftermarket exhaust. The problem is I dont know which one is the best and I want to spend < 2000$. Could you guys help me out and point me in the right direction. Also what shop do you guys use to install your aftermarket products. I'm in fairfax county. Thanks for the help!

islooevolution,
Where is the crack at? Care to post a picture of it. If the crack is on the exhaust then you can get a Remus or dynomax(OEM) and have your local muffler shop weld it on for you. If the crack it on the piping then do the same thing your local muffler shop can weld on a new pipe for you.

REMUS - High Quality aftermarket performance exhaust
or MagnaFlow.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the cat converter busted open. Its common, and I am not sure there is a good fix other than replacing it. I have seen them rewelded, and they haven't lasted very long afterwards. They just break open again in the same spot. The converters are not cheap, and the torsion bars have to be removed to replace them.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
meineke.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:32 PM

06' W164
Originally Posted by islooevolution
Like saturnstyl said it is most likely a weld on one of the catalytic converters....if you do find one aftermarket make sure it is from a reputable mfg...OE cats cost more for a
reason. Finally have a look at your motor/trans mounts....a collapsed mount can put
added stress on those welds.