M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Hitch for '00 ML 320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 ML 320
Hitch for '00 ML 320

Hey there,

I am trying to get some guidance on installing a hitch on my '00 ML 320. My dealer gave me a quote of $300 for the hitch and another $300 to fit it.

I went to clairparts.com and saw that I can get the hitch for around $270 - so no big saving - so the only saving I could get is a) If I get it fixed from a 3rd party or b) if I fit it myself.

I also read elsewhere that a "Draw-tite" hitch is also good - but I am thinking - the OEM hitch gotta have some bonding with the car - correct - isn't that why it is the OEM hitch?

So I am looking for some guidance / instructions / do and don'ts for the same.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Hitch for '00 ML 320

Originally posted by Starjeet
Hey there,

I am trying to get some guidance on installing a hitch on my '00 ML 320. My dealer gave me a quote of $300 for the hitch and another $300 to fit it.

I went to clairparts.com and saw that I can get the hitch for around $270 - so no big saving - so the only saving I could get is a) If I get it fixed from a 3rd party or b) if I fit it myself.

I also read elsewhere that a "Draw-tite" hitch is also good - but I am thinking - the OEM hitch gotta have some bonding with the car - correct - isn't that why it is the OEM hitch?

So I am looking for some guidance / instructions / do and don'ts for the same.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
The OEM trailer hitch kit is an easy install. Just remove the rear bumper, install two reinforcement brackets, one on each frame rail. Then install the actual hitch onto the cross-member, install the electrical harness holder. Remove the small plastic piece in the left rear interior quarter panel, connect the supplied harness to the vehicle harness and run it down through the body and bolt it up to the harness holder, and you're all set. No extra computer programming is necessary, instructions are included with the kit, and all the holes are already there for the various bolts.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:38 PM

'00 ML 320
Thanks

Thank you for the instructions.

Just a couple of quick follow up questions:

a) How easy is it to remove the bumper cover and the bumper itself?

b) I read the instruction manual someone else had provided and it speaks about the amount of "Torque" to be applied to the screws / nuts. Do I have to get a torque tool or do u think it can be done by an ordinary wrench?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Starjeet
Thank you for the instructions.

Just a couple of quick follow up questions:

a) How easy is it to remove the bumper cover and the bumper itself?

b) I read the instruction manual someone else had provided and it speaks about the amount of "Torque" to be applied to the screws / nuts. Do I have to get a torque tool or do u think it can be done by an ordinary wrench?

Thanks.
All you have to do is remove the bumper cover. 4 nuts hold it on. Remove each cover on the bumper fascia. There is one nut under each side cover, and 2 under the middle cover. Then the bumper cover just slides off to the rear. You don't need a torque wrench, just make sure the bolts are as tight as you can get them.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:05 PM

1999 ML320
Thumbs up Hitch Install

I also installed the factory hitch to my 1999 ML320. The process is not complicated but does require time to complete. It took me roughly 1 hour to complete. The rear bumper is easily removed but getting it back on correctly takes a little time. I must say, Mercedes makes one hell of a hitch. The hitch and reinforcement brackets makes you feel you can pull anything. Meanwhile I only added it for our bike rack attachment.

I'd recommend it.

John
Old 06-14-2002, 01:21 PM

2000 ML320/'03 C320WZ
The only PITA is to cut the plastic cover to fit. Not like some that I saw they just cut it square and its not my style. Check this out this a Draw Tite hitch.

http://12.103.207.178/pics/JimB12057015AM.jpg
Old 06-15-2002, 01:10 PM
USF
Almost a Member!

2002 ML500
Hey Jim...doesn't the DrawTite extends further out then OEM? about 1" more than OEM?

Would anyone suggest the DrawTite over OEM ?
Old 06-15-2002, 02:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99 ML 320, 97 Porsche 993 C2S, 92 300E
Thumbs up

I've got the OEM hitch on my 99 ML320 and I recommend it. It's very easy to install, the wiring harness, and the socket and bracket that come with it attach to the vehicle very easily too.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:25 PM

'00 ML 320
Wiring Harness and the cover cutout template.

Hey Guys,

Thanks to all of you and to Alex for encouraging me to get the hitch fitted.

I did do that over the last weekend and like all of you had said - it was not too difficult.

I did go and get a torque wrench from home depot and fitting the hitch took me about 2.5 hours from start to end.

The only thing I have not figured out is where do the wires connect. I ran them inside the car - so any help there would be appreciated.

Also the template the hitch came with did not seem correct - so does anyone out there have a template for the ml320?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2002, 06:44 PM

2000 ML320/'03 C320WZ
Starjeet,
So, What you end up getting is it OEM or Draw-Tite, What ever it is, you can cut nicely by taking your time first measure from the opening edge to the hitch and then the side and transfer that number to the bumper cover, or you can do it to some soft cardboard. Hope this help.

JimB
Old 06-17-2002, 06:55 PM

'00 ML 320
Yes it does help. Come to think of it - that is the really obvious way to do it. But I guess i was trying to cut corners here and get a ready template Thanks Jim!

To answer your question, I went with the OEM kit. It was very easy to install. I still have not figured out where the wires connect - but actually even for that I really need to take a flash light and take a look inside to see if there ae any obvious connectors to connect the wires up.

Any help appreciated.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:18 AM

1999 ML320
hitch

If you purchased the OEM hitch, the directions were very helpful. The wiring connection is on the rear right side of the truck. I recall a rubber stopper being removed from the bottom of the truck for the wiring connection. I also, removed an inside trunk panel to gain access to the wiring inside as well. Finally, regarding cutting the bumper plastic, I used a jig saw but any fine tooth blade would work (i.e., hack saw, drumel, etc.)

Good luck!