M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help !! Something is wrong !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ML320
Unhappy Help !! Something is wrong !

I recently lowered my 99 ML320 with H&R Springs, and put Michelin 285 VR55 x 18 tires on BBS 18 x 10's. It looks awesome, and handles even more awesome, but something started happening that I cannot explain:

When I take a long sweeper freeway on or off ramp, and take it hard, as in pulling close to a .8 lateral g, the yellow Hazard triangle in the middle of my speedo starts flashing and I hear weird noises coming from the front end. It does not happen when I do sweeper right turns, but only left ones.

Does anybody know what this is or why it's happening? At first I thought that the centrifugal force may be pushing all the oil to one side of the transfer case or the front end but I am not sure. The vehicle has 35k miles and has never done this before. If I drive it normal, it does not do this. Anyone else ever have that happen? I appreciate all responses.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Can't help you diagnose your problem, but I'd suggest having the M-B shop foreman drive it for you.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:41 AM

98ML320
Talking To JCRamirez

Hi JCRamirez
H&R Springs with 18 x 10's wheel and stock dumper get on worth. When lowered, you must have Bilstein dumper installed.
Stiff Springs and soft stock dumper are mismatch.
Perhaps front tire interfers with wheel house when you sweeper right turn.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:28 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML430
It's your traction control

And the weird noises that you hear are the individual brakes braking each wheel independantly. Also you might want to check your camber adjustment. And if you didn't lower your front end the same as the rear, that could be the cause also. You're shocks could also be the result. I changed everything when I lowered my car, H&R's, Bilsteins and lowered the front bye adjusting the torsion bars, and I have 295/40/20's on my car and the only time traction control comes on is when I take a sweeping curve like that going at dangerous speeds, LoL. Hope that helps

-Chris
Old 05-17-2002, 10:34 AM

99 ML320
Talking Hmmmmmmmmmm

This makes sense. The noise does sound like the ABS trying to do their thing. I did lower the front end but have not yet gotten the Bilsteins. When I get the Bilsteins, do they have to be shorter than the stock set I would of normally needed ?

And finally, is there any way to get it to stop doing this or do I just have to turn off the traction control?

Taiichiro, what do you mean when you say dumper? Is that same as shock absorber?
Old 05-17-2002, 08:03 PM

98ML320
Wink >Taiichiro, what do you mean when you say dumper? Is that same as shock absorber?

Sorry
Bilstein dumper means Bilstein shock.

chris is right, the weird noises may be caused your traction control.You had better raise up the front by torsion bar adjustment.