M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Torque Converter, Reinstalling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2022 | 01:58 PM

'00 CLK320, '01 ML320 Designo, '01 ML320 Sport; '04 CLK320 Coupe Avantgar; '04 C230 SportCoupe (HB)
Torque Converter, Reinstalling

I am replacing a seized engine, and the torque converter cannot be separated until the engine is removed and the main/piston bearing caps loosened removed.

Anyone have any guidance, or WIS prints, or suggestions on how to decouple the TC and to reinstall the TC on the output shaft prior to installing the replacement engine.
Refilling requirements etcetra

(I am replacing the original engine with a C320 donor. In addition to changing the oil pan, headers and engine mounts it requires transferring the wiring harness.
Any tips for that are appreciated (I have already ID'd all the connections with key tags so landing the wires will be easy.) Are there any pitfalls?

PS: I am not a professional mechanic but was 'raised in my father's garage as a small boy' and was a Chinook & Bell Ranger repairman in the Army. So the mechanical part is otherwise OK.
I have the engine prepped by the WIS procedure from Major Dundee all the way to 'raise the engine'. So am ready for the next step.
Old 08-11-2022 | 10:23 PM

LS400
I 'm sure the Torque converter is like most automatics and will just fit back into the transmission. But you may have an o ring for the lock up clutch on the end of one of the input shafts that should be replaced as well as the front seal for the transmission. Be careful not to wreck the input bearing either.
Search youtube.