M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

front brake squeak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML430
front brake squeak

took my car into firestone for a brake check for squeaking brakes and they said my front brakes are squeaking and they need to be sanded and treated, they have 75% pad left on them. They also said that i needed to resurface the rotors, i agreed and did both total was 110.xx. i drove it around and the squeaking was gone. my problem is that after 3 days the squeaking returned, i took it back to firestone and he said that i need to replace the pads since the sanding and treating didnt work. my ? is there any alternative to replace the pads to remove the squeak? firestone wants 250 for just front pads.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:42 PM

I can think of 2 reasons as to why you are getting the squeaking:

1. There is seperation between the pistons and the back of the pad (anti-squeal paste adhesive didn't hold). Just remove pads and re-apply.

2. You have something other than standard pads (ie, high perf pads) that require higher temp to work optimally and the squealing is normal until that temp is reached.

I would RUN fron that firestone place. I bet they have bets about how much work they can CON you into!

There may be other reasons but this is my best guess now.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Firestone??? Why on earth would you go there?? The V8 Brakes have all had squealing problems. There is a new part number brake pad that eliminates this or minimizes it. Your MB dealer knows all the fixes for this including the application of anti squeal paste. Why not go to the people that know about your vehicle??
Old 10-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML430
i didnt go to the dealer because they told me i needed to replace all pads and rotors, i went to firestone for a second opinion and found out the dealer was lying to me and i only need rear pads and rotors, almost got scamed out of $750.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:47 PM

firestone will tell you that to seperate you from your money. They told you that you had 75% pad life yet now they want to replcae them??? I give that the big whatever!

Don't skimp, pay the money or DIY. Order up new pads and rotors. You can order you pads and rotors inexpensively if you search the web. If you are not a DIY kinda person then pay the dealer or MB reoair shop. When it comes to these cars, you have three options (that are your safest bet):

1. DIY
2. Dealer
3. Mercedes Repair Facility (non-dealer)

I would NEVER go outside those 3. For example, change your own oil, or pay one of the other 2, unless you want to risk jiffy lube, etc. screwing up your car!
Old 10-20-2004, 05:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed... those tire places and quick lube joints don't know jack about the finer points of mercedes service. The dealer was probably right when they said you needed all the pads and rotors replaced, at least then you wouldn't still be dealing with this squeal issue. There is a reason they quoted what they did, and its highly unlikely they are trying to rip you off. My dealer does not tolerate this sort of thing, if we recommend it, you NEED it. The dealer has done thousands of brake jobs on your specific model, and knows exactly what to recommend and why. The tire joint is going off of generic data, and certainly will not have the level of experience your dealer has.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:45 PM

saturn is exactly right. The dealer might be overpriced (list price on parts, higher labor rate) but they are not trying to get you to do work you don't need OR trial and error work like Firestone did.