M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 Sport enhancement questions (Help)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 Sport enhancement questions (Help)

What the differents between a 2001 ML320 sport model and a ML320 model except for the enhance widebody look and larger wheels and tires? I own a 2001 brilliant silver ML320 Sport model (ML55 Body-Type) with 6 spoke 17x8.5 wheels(275/55-17 tires). I want to give it a slightly more aggressive (Wider-lower profile) look. Somethings on my growing lists includes ((1)) WHEELS-OEM ML55 AMG 5 spoke 163 rims 18x9. ((WILL THEY FIT?)) ((2)) TIRES 285/50-18 - Dunlops 9000 or Yokohama AVS-ST or Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S ((3)) BRAKES UPGRADE & COSTS - I like the look of the ML55 AMG look with red caliper or a silver caliper would be nice overlapping a brembo cross-drill rotor. But I would like to upgrade and improve the braking performance from the OEM braking system I now have. ((ANY SUGGESTION))? What would I have to upgrade too(bigger cross-drill rotors and pads, larger color calipers, braided steel lines, etc). What brand names (Brembo,AMG,Pagid, rotex, poterfield pads, etc....)? What combination of different brand name rotors and pads work well together for the ML320 brake upgrade? Does increasing the wheel size also means increasing the brake size too? ((4)) SPRINGS- What brands (H&R, EIBACH, etc...) and sizes, part numbers. How far ( 1-1.5-2-3 inches ) is recommended in lowering the vehicle before running into problems? ((5)) WHEEL SPACERS - Are they recommended? What the advantage and disadvantage? What sizes (30mm-5mm)? What brands (H&R, EIBACH, etc...) ((6)) And do anybody have information on upgrading from the ML320 black gauge cluster to a white gauge cluster similar to the ml55? (7)) FUTURE MODS - Includes BI-xenon head lights, Chrome Grill, Lorinser W163 ML Grill insert kit, Rear roof wing. I would appreciate any thoughts, web site info, comments, advices, and personnel experiences you may have had with upgrading your ML320 good and bad, especially with a brake system upgrade. Thanks...
Old 10-31-2004, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
your post is very difficult to follow. Yes you can upgrade to ML55 wheels with no issues. Id get the dunlop SP9000 tires...

Brakes? Probably better off using a big brake kit than Mercedes OEM. your current wheels and/or ML55 wheels will clear AMG brakes. Springs? No choice in the front, only can change the rears... i recommend stock or AMG.

Wheel spacers? try to avoid em... you might need them if using an aftermarket brake setup though.

AMG gauges? can be done, talk to your dealer.

I would def get bi-xenon lights as your first mod. World of difference and easy to install in a 2001 ML.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
paragraphs and spaces are your friend.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, about bunching all those questions together....I'm still new to this process. Thanks about the info on the white AMG gauges. Do I purchase AMG big brakes and springs at the mercedes dealer or is this a after market item? Browning through the threads, it seems there is more then one type of bi-xeon headlight for the ML. Do all bi-xeon for the ML give you that blue tint color light?