M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

New Here: 2003 ML500 Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW 330i
Talking New Here: 2003 ML500 Questions

Hey guys, I'm a new member of your site. I hope to be a new member of your community soon, too. I currently drive a 2002 BMW 330i. I'm looking to trade her in for a 2003 ML500 Certified. I have some questions which I would greatly appreciate if I could get answered.

1) The ML has the Bose sound system - does the Bose come with some sort of CD-player? An in-dash or CD Changer, or does this mean that car can't play CDs unless I buy the separate CD Changer?

2) I ski a lot, and the SKI SACK (like in the E-Class) is ESSENTIAL. I know this was never an option on the ML, but if I pay, can the dealer retrofit it, and at what approximate cost?

3) The ML has xenons - are they self-leveling?

4) I know the ML has one of those post 2002 "Modular Control Systems". Basically although there is no NAV, it still uses a big LCD to show the radio info and stuff. Can the NAV be "software installed" in the future since I already have this big LCD?

5) This particular ML has Parktronic - how many sensors are there in total?

6) Obviously the ML has 4WD, and therefore would have much better traction than my RWD BMW. But, I run the Bimmer on quality winter tires in winter - despite the 4WD, would the ML have sufficient traction with the all-seasons it comes with?

7) Is the AC strong enough in the cooling department? My current BMW is rather weak in the summer - that's why I tinted the car - to keep heat out.

8) Are there any known "annoyances" or problems with the 2003 ML500 that I should know about?

Thank you for taking the time to read my noob-like silly questions! Looking forward to possibly joining your community in the comings couple of weeks!

Rooster
Old 10-30-2004, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Here's my answers....

1.) The ML500 comes standard with the Navigation system. The screen flips down, and there's a single slot for a music CD/Navigation DVD and a single slot for a tape. You cannot play a CD with the Navigation disk in though, as it's only a single-cd player. If the ML500 you're looking at has the 6 disk cd-changer, it's located in a compartment in the cargo bay.

2.) Mercedes doesn't make a factory ski-sack for the ML, but they do make a tilt down rack on the roof for skis.

3.)The ML500 doesn't come standard with xenons, but if yours has them, yes, they're self-leveling.

4.)see # 1

5.) I'm 80% sure there's 4 sensors in the front and 4 sensors in the back.

6.) Yes, there's tons of traction in wet winter weather. If you were to drive in snow, I'd buy winter tires or chains though.

7.)Yes, the ML500 has very strong air-conditioning. In Fresno, we frequently have 105+ degree weather and it has kept us plenty cool.

8.) To tell you the truth, the M-class isn't the best built Mercedes. There's quite a few creaks, squeaks and rattles and the chassis and ride will not be as solid as your current BMW's

Hope this helps!!
Old 10-30-2004, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) The ML has the Bose sound system - does the Bose come with some sort of CD-player? An in-dash or CD Changer, or does this mean that car can't play CDs unless I buy the separate CD Changer?

*** The CD changer lives in the rear of the car on the right hand side near the jack behind a panel.

*** From factory - always.

4) I know the ML has one of those post 2002 "Modular Control Systems". Basically although there is no NAV, it still uses a big LCD to show the radio info and stuff. Can the NAV be "software installed" in the future since I already have this big LCD?

*** The nav improvement is not hard to fit. Look in the published documents section.

6) Obviously the ML has 4WD, and therefore would have much better traction than my RWD BMW. But, I run the Bimmer on quality winter tires in winter - despite the 4WD, would the ML have sufficient traction with the all-seasons it comes with?

*** Traction is a function of the road, your driving style and the cars setup.

7) Is the AC strong enough in the cooling department? My current BMW is rather weak in the summer - that's why I tinted the car - to keep heat out.

*** AC is a function of gas pressure and gas age. It becomes weaker over time.

8) Are there any known "annoyances" or problems with the 2003 ML500 that I should know about?

*** The ML is nothing like the X5. They are different cars in manner. The X5 is far more luxurious.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I'm a new member of your site. I hope to be a new member of your community soon, too. I currently drive a 2002 BMW 330i. I'm looking to trade her in for a 2003 ML500 Certified. I have some questions which I would greatly appreciate if I could get answered.
\
Welcome aboard!

_ bose virtually always comes with a cd changer in the cargo area

2) I ski a lot, and the SKI SACK (like in the E-Class) is ESSENTIAL. I know this was never an option on the ML, but if I pay, can the dealer retrofit it, and at what approximate cost?

You can get a roof rack to hold your skis

Yes, with headlamp washers too.

500's come with NAV installed standard.

5) This particular ML has Parktronic - how many sensors are there in total?

I dunno..... Some in front, some in back! Kind of rare option for an ML.... I have only seen 2 that ever had it, one was in the training center!

It will probably be fine. The ML's were unstoppable in the snow the few times we get it in NC. You have AWD, traction control, stabilty control and Low Range gearing available to help traction.

ML a/c is pretty much the only a/c system mercedes has that doesn't totally suck..... Works well and its very reliable.

500's are bulletproof. You probably won't have to visit the service dept for much more than maintenance! They will eat brakes up pretty quick if your an aggressive driver. The 500 is fast and heavy, which means rapid brake wear.
Do NOT EVER put anything under the rear seats. If you try to fold them down, those items will pop the cables off the underside of the seat, making it very difficult to get the seat back up off the floor.

Thank you for taking the time to read my noob-like silly questions! Looking forward to possibly joining your community in the comings couple of weeks!

Once you drive the 500, nothing else will do. Except maybe a 55 AMG.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:30 AM

2002 BMW 330i
Guys thanks very much for your input! Just one thing - many people are stating how the ML500 comes standard with the Nav...ummm...this is not so on the Canadian models. The USA-spec ML500s are superior I am afraid. So all stock ML500s do NOT have the NAV, nor the CD Changer - that's why I'm asking if there's any CD-playing device.

Oh well - I'll be speaking to that dealer on Monday - so they will check this for me. Now the remaining problem is the "roof ski rack" as suggested by saturnstyl...

Hey is there any web site that lists all the Mercedes accessories for the ML? The MB USA site seems to have a little site - but about the greatest thing they showcase is car shampoo on there! I'm talking about stuff like skid plates, CD Changer, interior accessories, etc.

Take care,
Rooster

P.S. I already drove the ML500 on 2 occasions - it's a BEAST! The ride quality is SUPERIOR to that of the X5 4.4i (this is coming from a BMW guy)!
Old 10-30-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Originally Posted by Rooster
P.S. I already drove the ML500 on 2 occasions - it's a BEAST! The ride quality is SUPERIOR to that of the X5 4.4i (this is coming from a BMW guy)!
Well, it is superior in smoothness. I drive a 2003 X5 4.4, and my wife has been driving a 2005 ML500 for about 5 months. Acceleration seems pretty comparable. But performance driving, hard cornering, high speed stability, I have to give the X5 a higher rating. Winter driving and off road (not that I take either off road) the ML probably wins easily

I think the comfort seats in the X are far more, um, err, comfortable than the ML's. I also think it has more leg room & headroom. I'm about 6'4", and feel a bit cramped in the ML.