M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Aftermarket non-W163 Front Shock Adapter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 12:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 E430, 2002 ML55
Aftermarket non-W163 Front Shock Adapter

Hello everyone! I'm here to share a product which I made to help us lifted w163 ML owners with running aftermarket front shocks on the OEM lower control arms. It's a simple chamfered metal adapter to make the ML's lower control arm shock mounting hole be flat, allowing for the shock absorber sleeve to sit properly against the control arm. Previously, I've used a plastic 3D printed version of this same product with my late-90s 4Runner shocks and it's worked well other than the plastic wearing out. So I've now made the same piece but from stainless steel! I used to run late-1990 Toyota 4Runner shocks since they were affordable but then upgraded to Rancho RS9000XL RS999044 (in the photos). Both of these shock would require this adapter to properly mount up against the control arm.

A tip for those about to replace their front shocks, you are able to cut off the metal chamfered end from your OEM shocks to make a similar adapter at home. I'm just offering my product for those who have lost their home made adapters (like how I did when the shock bolt snapped).

Link to the product: https://www.burek3d.com/product/w163...orber-adapter/

Old 06-20-2024, 12:07 PM
vvk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 ML350
Thumbs up Thank you!

Wow, this is awesome! Thank you so much for creating this. I will be replacing my front shocks soon -- will definitely order this if I decide to go this route (vs stock replacement.)
Old 07-11-2024, 02:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 E430, 2002 ML55
Originally Posted by vvk
Wow, this is awesome! Thank you so much for creating this. I will be replacing my front shocks soon -- will definitely order this if I decide to go this route (vs stock replacement.)
Sure thing. If you're using the OEM lower control arm, you'll definitely need this for an aftermarket shock. I've noticed some aftermarket control arms have a flat mounting spot for the shock so worth a check before getting started with your project

I also have two aftermarket Rancho offroad shocks if you're interested. They were going to be used on my 2" lift but I ended up selling my lifted ML for another ML which is just at stock height