M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 380 SLC (R107)
Is this a good deal?

My wife and I just test drove a 2001 ML320 and we liked it a lot, but it wasn't an overwhelming "yes." My question is, is an offer at $20,000 a good deal for the car? It is being offered at $20,980 from a local Lexus dealer. Has the rear seat package, towing package, sunroof, HomeLink, power pass seat, tiptronic trans. No heated seats. 49,200 miles with the option to get the extended warranty since it's still under fatory warranty.

Our other option is a 2001 Infiniti QX4 which is a little more money but seems to handle much better than the ML. The ML sloshes around like an old Caddy in corners where the QX4 was flat. The QX4 has rear entertainment, heated front and rear seats, towing package, sunroof, and a 6 disc changer in the dash. We could probably get that one for $21,500 w/51,000 miles.

The thing that would sway us is knowing we were getting a better deal on the ML. Any help??? Suggestions???
Old 11-27-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I got a suggestion.... Get a 2003 or later model. 2002 had a major updating on the ML, virtually all the bugs were worked out by '03. If you do convince yourself to buy this thing, make sure you get the extended warranty that covers everything. Check the sticky.... I will strongly recommend you spend a little more and find a later model year.
An old ML can be a losing proposition, particularly if the previous owner didn't take good care of it. You just never know what your getting in to sometimes. MAKE SURE YOU GET A COMPREHENSIVE PREPURCHASE INSPECTION. Spend the little to get it checked over, it may prevent you from making a huge mistake no matter what vehicle you buy. Do NOT trust the place you are buying it from. Take it elsewhere to have it checked by someone who knows that car inside and out.
A Mercedes is not something for the faint of wallet.... I don't want to sound overly harsh, but check in to it to make sure this is what you want. It may turn out to be the best vehicle you ever had. It may also be a money pit. The 2002 brings a nicer interior, exterior styling update, larger wheels, and many upgrades throughout, which addressed the older models many weaknesses. The 2003 models leave the shop and virtually never return except for service. Some of the older ones are in constantly... We know the owners by name. I love my ML, it has proven very reliable. I said many times I would never own one, but the updates they made really fixed it. So now I have one parked in my driveway!
Enjoy your new car!
Old 11-28-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 380 SLC (R107)
saturnstyl -

Do you work for Mercedes? If so, where?

We plan on having it checked out, but this is a very reputable dealer. There are only a few in MA that I have heard good things about and this is one of them.

What would you think of an offer of $19k? We saw another ML320, 2002, with the same miles for $30k. It had fewer features too.

Are there any physical things I can look for? Signs of repairs? Recall history? Etc...
Old 11-28-2004, 01:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I am in NC. I work at the local dealership. As far as finding out about recalls and repair history, all you can do is ask. If the vehicle is in the shop, the recall MUST be performed. Its policy, so don't worry about those not having been done already. You are NOT privileged to see the vehicles repair history. You can ask, but if they refuse you can do no more. MB does not allow the customer to obtain the VMI which lists all that stuff.
Just be absolutely certain and test drive this thing a lot before you buy it. KNOW what you are getting, never assume.
I would hate to see someone buy a vehicle and come to regret it because they are having problems with it. Ma benz went through a slump for a few years, and 2001 is one of those years. We are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now though!