M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

CD Changer Not Installed Error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2024 | 09:25 PM

2005 ML350 Special Edition
CD Changer Not Installed Error

Ive had a 2005 ml350 for almost a year now and ive been trying everything to get my cd changer to work consistently.

When I first got it, it wasnt working, so I pulled the radio and replugged both it and cd changer, and reset the battery. After doing that it proceeded to work for a month and then quit again. To try and get it to start working again, i checked fuses, inspected plugs/wires and did what i did to begin with, no luck.

The cd changer is getting power to it and can eject its tray so thats not an issue.

Ive come to a dead end with my limited expertise and would very much appreciate any suggestions, thanks!
Old 09-30-2024 | 01:38 PM

'00 CLK320, '01 ML320 Designo, '01 ML320 Sport; '04 CLK320 Coupe Avantgar; '04 C230 SportCoupe (HB)
At this moment, I don't have access to any - but on the www there are YT or other help for checking the fiber connections to know if they are all 'connected'. As I recall it is to pull the connectors and watch the fiber light to see if it is coming on as it should. at both the equipment and at fiber connector.

There are connections under the pass seat, in the console as well as at the radio, It is a big loop. Easiest to check those at the radio and at the CD Changer first. "Fiber could be broken if mishandled"

What is your VIN?
Old 10-01-2024 | 02:13 AM

'00 CLK320, '01 ML320 Designo, '01 ML320 Sport; '04 CLK320 Coupe Avantgar; '04 C230 SportCoupe (HB)
https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...y-message.html
See Post #2 for a cleanup of the ribbon cable connector.

Attached is the very simple wiring diagram for the Changer.
If you have power, check the 'wake-up' wire for continuity from the Radio Connector C, Pin 4 to the Changer Connector 1 Pin 3. Check the plug at the changer for corrosion. I often see corrosion at the console switch group and in the door separation points, maybe there as well.

Check all D2B connections again. The ring goes from the radio under the console,

where there is a Handy Connector, then to the CTEL unit under the pax seat, to the CDChanger and back to the radio. It is possible to look at the D2B connectors to see if they light when connected.

Replacement Changers are on eBay. AutoHub has one for ~$50US. They are reputable.

Or, do what I am doing. Remove the COMAND unit, and the amplifier. Amp wires are long enough to pull over to the radio area (those all "originate" just above the accelerator pedal). Wire in new Head Unit, replace 2 front speakers (6.5") (no rewiring needed). 2 decade newer audio tech is a big improvement + apple carplay +BT. Do the rear two speakers(5.25") (no wiring change) and the sub (needs wiring, but is simple) only if you feel you need it. You will need a wiring diagram.

Old 10-02-2024 | 07:31 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! Ill get to checking all that and get back to you. My vin is 4JGAB57EX5A538652
Old 10-12-2024 | 02:48 PM

Looks like at least one of my fiber optic lines are bad, unplugged them at the cd changer again and only one was shining