M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

What's Warranty Policy on Replacement Parts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2004 | 07:55 PM

ML
What's Warranty Policy on Replacement Parts?

Not only for MLs but for all MBs in general. Typically the shop warranties labor for all work done, regardless of warranty status of vehicle. How does MB deal with warranty for parts

a) when replaced while vehicle is still under warranty
b) when replaced while vehicle is out of warranty.

As far as I can recall, my Nissan parts are ALWAYS waranteed for one year, beginning day of installation if installed by an "approved" shop. My MB SA told me once that the replacement steering rack installed in my E Class under warranty is covered up to the expiration of the original 4/50. I thout that was nuts. What if, hypothetically, the rack was replaced at 39999 miles. According to my SA, the thing would only have a 1 mile warranty!!!! Any clues as to the warranty issue on parts? Thanks.
Old 12-26-2004 | 09:55 PM

Warranty parts DO NOT have a warranty. The parts are only covered for the duration of the 4/50. The example of the 49,999 mile steering rack is correct. It would have a warranty for 1 mile, or the duration of the time provided you didn't drive it that last mile.
Any parts you buy have a 1 year warranty regardless of anything else. If ANYBODY got that part installed correctly and it fails, the dealer covers parts and labor for 1 year. I think its a stupid policy, but I don't make the rules.
Old 12-26-2004 | 10:28 PM

ML
That really sucks. Especially with the Ml and all the various problems people have been having.
Old 12-26-2004 | 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
even tho saturn is usually right, he is incorrect this time. Darkmann, every dealer i have been to provides at least a 3 month warranty on the work they did... mine does. Also, I have had parts covered that had been replaced in warranty and needed replacement out of warranty (but still within 12 months/12k miles) . But read the service R/O, it usually says there is a 3-4 month warranty on the work performed.
Old 12-27-2004 | 11:24 AM

ML
Al, that's the way it's supposed to work out. However, I have looked over all

copies of my ROs and none even mentions anything about parts or labor warranty. Like I said, my SA told me flat out that in warranty parts have same warranty as the car's original warranty. I'm sure if an installed component fails within a few months they'll replace it under warranty, but I wich they'd something in writing!!!
Old 12-27-2004 | 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by AlBoston
even tho saturn is usually right, he is incorrect this time. Darkmann, every dealer i have been to provides at least a 3 month warranty on the work they did... mine does. Also, I have had parts covered that had been replaced in warranty and needed replacement out of warranty (but still within 12 months/12k miles) . But read the service R/O, it usually says there is a 3-4 month warranty on the work performed.
I am ALWAYS right......
Mercedes policy is what I described. You are describing dealer policy. The dealer could give you a lifetime warranty if they wanted to, mercedes only warrants the vehicle for 4/50.
The situation often occurs when a customer has for example, had a cd changer replaced at 49,999 miles. They come in 6 months later, complaining that the reman cd changer is malfunctioning, and demand a replacement. Even though thats less than the year given over the counter purchases, it was done under the original factory warranty, and since that has expired it is NOT COVERED. The dealer can then step up and provide assistance, but they do not have to.