M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

How bad is it to drive with "SERVICE" Wrench symbol in dash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 S2000, E46 M3, 99 ML320
Question How bad is it to drive with "SERVICE" Wrench symbol in dash?

I just noticed mine has been lit for the past 1300 miles or so....hahaha

However I just did the oil change, full brake pads so what does the service entail? cost?

I have about 90K miles on this truck and I'm the second owner so not sure where to take the truck. Will the dealer be the only one to service the SUV or give me an estimate?

Any of you know roughly what this will cost me?

thanks,
rick
Old 12-28-2004, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
I just noticed mine has been lit for the past 1300 miles or so....hahaha
You still smoking that stuff man? How in the world couldn't you have noticed that. Is it one wrench or two wrenches? One - you need to go in for an "A" service - glorified oil change, two - they do the oil change plus some more stuff. I have the items for both services here, for MY02 MLs (I think it applies to most models though): MY02 A&B Service Page 1
MY02 A&B Service Page 2
MY02 A&B Service Page 3
That's the A and B service (1 wrench=A, 2 wrenches=B). Usually, after these services, you should be able to go 10-13K miles (or 1yr) before the next service.
However I just did the oil change, full brake pads so what does the service entail? cost?
If you just had the oil change done, then the FSS (that's the computer that determined whether to display one or two wrenches) should be set. In your case, you most likely didn't do the oil change at a MB dealer, so the FSS wasn't reset. It's an easy DIY item - except that I don't remember right now how to do it. Here's the lesson on this: whenever you do an oil change, you must reset the FSS to 10K miles. From that point, the FSS computer will determine when your next service is due - it does this based on your driving style and a few other parameters.

I have about 90K miles on this truck and I'm the second owner so not sure where to take the truck. Will the dealer be the only one to service the SUV or give me an estimate?
Well, I hope the above abstract will answer this question. You can have it service anywhere you feel comfortable with. Also, get a set of manuals.

Any of you know roughly what this will cost me?

If you just had the oil changed it'll cost you nothing to reset the FSS. However, depending on how many wrenches you have, the A service may run you up to $200 (minus oil change already done) and the B may be about anothe $150 more.

thanks
You're most welcome. Get a manual from MBUSA, or get it online. Got to mbusa.com and sign in as a member. Build a profile of your truck and you can download the online manual. I believe they also have a service booklet or a FAQ section which will tell you a whole lot more about your truck. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

BTW, to answer your original question: if you keep on driving, it'll start displaying number of miles left for service - and try to annoy the heck out of you. However, in your case, since you don't notice the darn thing anyway, the truck will eventually blow-up completely, leaving you alive and stranded in the driver's seat. make sure you have your seatbelt on though - you may combust with German engineering.

Last edited by Darkmann; 12-28-2004 at 08:10 PM.