M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help with wheel decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Help with wheel decision

Should I sell my old wheels off my ML500? They have a chip here and there, but overall in nice shape. What do ya think they would bring?
I can't decide whether to put on the new wheels all the time, or just leave them for occassional use, with a set of cheaper tires on the original wheels for most daily driving. As they sit, the original tires still have lots of life left, at least 50%. I just can't make up my mind what to do here!
The market for these wheels could very well take a big hit when the new ML debuts. If I sell them, then I wouldn't have them as back ups. I really don't have any place to store them either. Being 500 wheels, I imagine somebody will want them, and they sell on Ebay for over $200 each. That would almost cover the cost of my new tires.
Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Since you live in a Pineaple Under The Sea, you must see a lot of corrosion. Based on that, I'd say keep them old wheels for the snow/salt/grime season and replace with the new 18 inchers in the summer. However, since you Pineapple doesn't have enough storage space, sell them ML500 rims. And you're righ: they'll fetch you a goodchunk of tire cost for the new ones. Still sure you can't get me that employee discount? Tell them you lost the ones you just bought!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
What wheels are you plannin on puttin on? I would base your decision on that. If your puttin on some wheel with a tire that wont move in any bad weather, keep em. We got like an inch of snow in boston early in december, while I still had the AMG wheels with Yokohama Avid S/T tires on, I was going sideways. That could also be my lead foot Once the tread filled in with snow it was time for some old fashion drifting, haha
Old 01-02-2005, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
i say sell the 500 wheels. you are never going to use them again after mounting the new, bigger, nicer wheels. plus, the new wheels have an all season tire on it. its not like its a low profile tire that is summer rated. definitely sell. but i think 200 each is a little high. especially since they arent new.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
Happy New Year!

Firstly, happy 2005!

I opened up the year with a fresh set of 20" wheels on my ML. I too had the dilemna of keeping vs. selling my old rims. I decided to trade them in for the new set--it helped me get a really good deal. I'm amazed at how good 20's feel. No obvious ride comfort issues. I got 185/45/20 tires, so there's still plenty of rubber for them bumps. Also, the diameter of the new wheel is a little larger, so i'm tricking the odometer a bit...ooops :v .

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
ML500 wheels

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Should I sell my old wheels off my ML500? They have a chip here and there, but overall in nice shape. What do ya think they would bring?
I can't decide whether to put on the new wheels all the time, or just leave them for occassional use, with a set of cheaper tires on the original wheels for most daily driving. As they sit, the original tires still have lots of life left, at least 50%. I just can't make up my mind what to do here!
The market for these wheels could very well take a big hit when the new ML debuts. If I sell them, then I wouldn't have them as back ups. I really don't have any place to store them either. Being 500 wheels, I imagine somebody will want them, and they sell on Ebay for over $200 each. That would almost cover the cost of my new tires.
Thoughts?
Since you obviously don't need them for snow tires, the only reason to keep them is if you want to put them back on when you sell the truck. I bought a set of four ML430 wheels in perfect condition for snow use for $270, but that was a very good deal. I wouldn't expect you'll get $800/set, but I could be wrong.