M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Newbie here with question ...

Old 01-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98, ML320
Newbie here with question ...

Hey guys, I have had my ML for quite sometime now and just decided to sign up and see other fellow benz fanatics. I was wondering if you could all help me by telling me where the best place is to buy a whole tow hitch setup online for my 98 ML320. Thanks in advance, and great site !!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with OEM kit. The aftermarket ones are FUGLY.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 ML 350
Hi,

how much do you think the oem hitch cost from the dealer?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
About $400.00 If you have a 2002 or newer, the install is a bit trickier since you have to trim the rear bumper some. An older ML is easier to install. Handy tips for trailer hitch installs: (I did my own recently, and a few hundred others at work)
Unbolt rear bumper, 4 10 mm bolts and it slides right off.
Set left side of bumper on ground, resting on protective covering. Secure right side of bumper up so that you don't strain the antenna wire connection. Use a bungee cord or something.
Install wiring FIRST. Remember the 25 amp fuse underhood.
Pull rubber body plug with 2 large tips out of left rear underbody. Pull out both access panels on left rear cargo area. Rip, pull, tear out that insulation where you need to install wiring harness and black box.
DO NOT install black box on to wiring yet.... its virtually impossible to install the harness this way on 2002 and newer trucks due to less clearance in the back cargo area behind the panelling.
Run the wiring harness through the hole in the bottom of the truck where you pulled out the rubber plug. Go from the bottom, in to the truck. Its virtually impossible to feed it from inside to the outside on newer trucks. Hook up the harness to the trucks wiring, and install the black box. Reassemble interior.
Spend 5 minutes asking God for forgiveness for all the naughty things you just said.
Install all the braces and the hitch, easy to do.
Install the wiring coupling on its bracket first, then install the wiring harness to the plug, only then can you install the bracket with the plug on the vehicle. If you install the bracket and plug and then try to hook up the wiring, you will find you cannot do it.
Reinstall bumper.
Mark area around hitch where its rubbing, cut bumper to fit.
Then taking great care, mark the panel that goes on the bumper where the hitch is sitting. Cut and trim this carefully for hours. Cover yourself in plastic shavings. Cry a little. Put some blood in to it. It should fit very loosely over the hitch and snap back in to the bumper. Try to make it discreet, so that it looks really nice. I painted the cut edges to help mine blend better. You will need to cut more than you think.... Around the hitch reciever itself, then two ovals out from that squarish hole for where the chains hook up.
Get a better hitch cover than they gave you... That one is Fugly. I used an automotive gold hitch cover with a chrome mercedes star.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98, ML320
Thanks for the info guys !! I will surely look into getting one at the dealer ...