M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help! Water in Hella micro xenon DEs Need advice from experts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Kleemann ML43K
Help! Water in Hella micro xenon DEs Need advice from experts

SO my fog lights are taking on water due to the open valve in the rear of the unit that is used to dissipate heat. The valve faces rearward so when the tires throw water towards the rear of the front grill it goes right in. I have drilled holes in the bottom front metal just below and behind the glass so that water can drain out. Now, my right fog light is dry and works just fine[not sure how water is NOT getting in but if it is it goes away or at least does not go near the bulb]. The left one has some moisture right now but it does not touch the bulb or the arcing electricity--that I can see visually. However, when I turn them on--the left light started to go out after 3 seconds a week ago. Now it lasts for 7-10 seconds but still turns itself off. I can turn them on and off over and over again at will and they both light up but then if I leave them on the left one keeps dying. Is it just a water problem or is there some other issue? I had the halogen micro DEs before and they worked fine and did not take on water as they did not have this open valve in the rear. Thanks for the repiles in advance.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bulb connection is probably corroaded which causes that bulb to heat up and when its resistance gets to high its amps drop causing the bulb to go out. Change eather the bulb, foglight or switch. Autogunner.