M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

CD nav vs. DVD nav

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 01:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
CD nav vs. DVD nav

Hey guys.

I'd like to know what your take is on a CDROM based navigation system versus a DVD based one for an 04 ML350. I'd like to confirm that a CDROM system will indeed work in my car and then how it will function as compared to the DVD system.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
If you already have a dvd system, why down grade? If you don't, then it would be cheaper to get a CD rom based system. For local use, it will be fine. The installation is identical with either unit. In the case of yours, its a simple unit installation and version coding to activate the voice feature. It can be done in an hour by any competent dealer. Its prewired, very simple install.
It does not matter which unit you decide to use, both install the same way. One requires multiple discs for regions, the other does not.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
If you already have a dvd system, why down grade? If you don't, then it would be cheaper to get a CD rom based system. For local use, it will be fine. The installation is identical with either unit. In the case of yours, its a simple unit installation and version coding to activate the voice feature. It can be done in an hour by any competent dealer. Its prewired, very simple install.
It does not matter which unit you decide to use, both install the same way. One requires multiple discs for regions, the other does not.
I don't own a navigation system right now. I'm considering buying a used CD-based system but wasn't sure if it'll work. The parts dept at my local dealership thought it might not work because of the "fiber optic" stuff in the new MLs (his words). But he wasn't sure. He thought maybe it depended on the year of the ML it came out of. I'll ask the seller for the year of his ML, but do you think that matters? I know you're more qualified to answer this query than the parts dept...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:00 PM

Horse hockey. The nav system has absolutely NOTHING to do with fiber optics. Its a plug and play drive. It will work regardless of model year.
If you can get a really good deal, I see no reason not to jump on it!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Horse hockey. The nav system has absolutely NOTHING to do with fiber optics. Its a plug and play drive. It will work regardless of model year.
If you can get a really good deal, I see no reason not to jump on it!
Thanks, Saturnstyl. Will you help to clarify one other thing?

The seller consulted with another forum member and was told that my CD changer "...isnt compatible because [seller's] MCS unit does not have the optical capability that [hecdog's] CD changer has."

What does the CD changer have to do with anything? The seller is selling the MCS unit with Nav, but all I need is the Nav drive right? Not the entire MCS unit, right? Can I just have the Nav drive removed and installed in my MCS unit?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:37 PM

You are correct my friend.
A) his MCS would be a downgrade for you.
B) you don't need his cd changer... (resell it on ebay)
C) Take out the nav drive, and put it in your MCS. Make sure you get the MCS programmed to accept the nav. The nav will work, you just won't be able to hear the voice commands until it is programmed.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML 430
so u really can watch movies from ur nav screen?.....i have nav in my 2000 ML but i dont have the 6 disc changer (looking to buy one)...but if i buy the mcs and replace the whole thing it will have dvd and nav?....how does this work, cuz it sounds too sweet...
Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
U cannot watch dvd's on the MCS radio displays... you need to do quite a bit of re-wiring to get it to work properly... on the COMMAND style radios that can be fitted into the ML you can watch TV. Also if you are interested I do have a CD changer that is up for sale that will work with your MCS unit... it will be coming out of my 2000 ML55. PM me if your interested you need a changer for your MCS unit from I think 2000 and below because your MCS unit does not have fiber optic capability
Old 01-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
If you want to watch movies on your MCS unit go to www.nav-tv.com I believe they charge like 1300 to do it