M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Whistling Power Steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLE 350
Whistling Power Steering

I get a low whistle sound when I turn the steering wheel and the car is at a standstill or at very low speeds. Such as backing out of a parking space. Any thoughts on what could be ailing my 2000 320?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
CMM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML350
I have the same on my 03 ML350. Only happens when the car is hot, and only at slow speeds. MB dealer replaced the steering rack twuce. After repacement, it is usually fixed for about 1 year, then it is back.

Any ideas ?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Yes, you have the same problem I had with my E and my ML320 and my ML500. In all three cases, the steering rack was replaced - but that may not be the problem because my E's noise came back a year later. The 500 just got done so the jury is still out on that. MBUSA has a TSB on this. I spoke with a tech when my 500's was being worked on and he explained to me that the problem is with sealing at the interface between the steering shaft and the horizontal rack. MB wants them to use Lubrizol on the system and if that doesn't solve the problem, the rack will be next.

An alternate solution that some have found to work is to replace the PS reservoir with a larger one - yep, that seems to resolve this problem though I have no idea why or how!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
CMM

2003 ML350
Thanks !
Since I still have one year left on my CPM warranty, I will watch if it gets worse, and then go back to the dealer.
I tried lubricating where the steering column enters the steering rack (assuming is was some dry seal), but that did not do the trick.
Is this noise just a nuisance, or will it lead to bigger problems with the steering rack over time?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by CMM
Thanks !
Since I still have one year left on my CPM warranty, I will watch if it gets worse, and then go back to the dealer.
I tried lubricating where the steering column enters the steering rack (assuming is was some dry seal), but that did not do the trick.
Is this noise just a nuisance, or will it lead to bigger problems with the steering rack over time?
I believe it's just a nuisance, based on my experience with my E class. The E's noise got worse about 2+ years later, but no safety issue.

Rearding lubricating, MB recommends Lubrizol as a one time thing only. If I were you, I'd have it done immediately if CPM covers the work. The rack replacement on my E solved the noise for just about a year and it came back. This time around, the tech said there's a new part for the repair and that should resolve the problem. If you have it done now, then you have plenty of time to "test" the work, just in case it needs to be redone. That'd be my approach.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:39 PM
CMM

2003 ML350
Thanks Darkman,
I'll follow your advice.