M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML350 owner beware!!!! Oil burner!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sosh
From what I understand it is only with the new engine as used in the ML350. Even then it is not a widespread problem and my take is perhaps this guy does in fact have the problem but he is obviously an alarmest and is attempting to incite the MB ML350 population here.
Sosh, Never check your oil see if I care. Some on here may want to actually know what to be on the look for a potential problem. But not you sosh your to smart for that.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
ML350 engine type

Originally Posted by ml350
Hi,

isn't the ml a sohc engine,

if the ml has a sohc engine then there not problem,

just only the rotary engine will have problems,

the rotary engine is a different engine from the sohc,

didn't the earlier ml have sohc or inline start six
The ML350 has a dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-6, specifically:

Engine 3,498-cc DOHC 24-valve 90° V-6. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Alloy heads. Counter-rotating balance shaft.

Fuel and ignition system ME 9.7 engine management. Integrated sequential multipoint fuel injection and ignition includes individual cylinder control of fuel spray, spark timing and antiknock. Electronic throttle. One high-energy ignition coil and spark plug per cylinder. 100,000-mile spark-plug intervals.

Intake system Dual overhead camshafts with continuously variable intake and exhaust timing. Magnesium 2-stage resonance intake manifold increases intake runner length at lower rpm for improved response. Electropneumatic turbulence flaps at start of intake path help increase intake airflow speed at midrange rpm for greater air-fuel mixture swirling and stronger, more complete combustion.

Any engine can be an oil burner, it's just that is more prevelant in rotaries. The issue in the ML I'm sure is limited to a quality control problem on a small number of engines, it's not an inherent characteristic.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alarmist?

Originally Posted by redvettx2
Sosh, Never check your oil see if I care. Some on here may want to actually know what to be on the look for a potential problem. But not you sosh your to smart for that.
I think what Sosh was not so tactfully trying to say is that quoting a 10-15% problem rate based on an informal survey of members of one forum is far from solid information. It's natural for owners to flock to forums when they have problems, so the sampling is not representative of the overall owner poulation. No doubt you and some number of others have problem engines. Many others report no abnormal oil burning.

I think you just lost credence initially throwing out wild numbers. We do appreciate hearing all issues, good and bad, however.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:03 AM

et them to replace the engine seals around the cylinders, one or more prob $@%'ed up

common problem on newer cars, friends maxima (2005) did the same thing. replaced the seals and its perfect.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:54 AM

FX35 plus
Received a warning from a technical staff & friend works in DC Taiwan/HQ.
The new M272 engine do report burn oil in few cases from the W211/E350.

Root cause is not known yet, DCT warranty new engines to those unhappy E350ers.
It will & only happen in the first 3000 miles,over that mileage w/o oil burning your M272 is ok......said by this technical staff.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Hopefully they will get this sorted out soon. I really like the concept of the new engines. Silky smooth yet powerful enough for daily driving. Hopefully they will get this resolved before they introduce the new 5L engine.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Well I am on my second oil consumption test and after 1100 miles the oil level looks pretty good. Now I am again getting huge and I mean huge white clouds of smoke on start up. Looks like the car John Candy drove in the movie "Uncle Buck". Not what you want to see on a brand new 55K luxury sports car. I wish I still had my Corvettes at this point. I do love the car with the top down. Wife want to have the windows tinted. There is no need because the cloud of white smoke prevents people from seeing in anyway.
Disgusted!!!!!!!! And MB Corp. refuses to even talk to me regarding the car.
They just want to send me to another dealer. The dealer did not build this POS they did!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 01:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Gosh, from all you posts, RedVettx2

I can't POSSIBLY IMAGINE WHY MBUSA WOULD NOT WANT TO TALK TO YOU. Go outside and run around the house a couple times...i honestly believe you have an issue, but whoa, dude. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 ML 350
GregW / Oregon

you are talking about the 06 ml 350,

that engine has the new dohc engine,

the 05 ml 350 has the sohc engine,
Old 07-09-2005, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wrong forum?

Originally Posted by ml350
GregW / Oregon

you are talking about the 06 ml 350,

that engine has the new dohc engine,

the 05 ml 350 has the sohc engine,
This is the W164 forum--it is only for the 2006 model. Visit the W163 forum for '05 stuff.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:09 PM

The W164 is now using the same motor as my 05 SLK. I understand it my me having the same issues hence my posts. It sounds like this was more of and early build issue with the SLK's and hopefully has been fixed. From what I hear MB still does not know what the problem is and is swapping engines all over the place on the SLK's. I sure do not want 60K car that needs a replacement engine or has already required a tranny rebuild. In my view MB is turning out crap. Check the latest quality reports to confirm this. This my first and last MB product period.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
The W164 is now using the same motor as my 05 SLK. I understand it my me having the same issues hence my posts. It sounds like this was more of and early build issue with the SLK's and hopefully has been fixed. From what I hear MB still does not know what the problem is and is swapping engines all over the place on the SLK's. I sure do not want 60K car that needs a replacement engine or has already required a tranny rebuild. In my view MB is turning out crap. Check the latest quality reports to confirm this. This my first and last MB product period.
Good then go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mbbodytech
Good then go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come on man, don't be so harsh

You can check quality reports for the last few years, Mercedes has never been in the top, but we still buy them redvettx2. There's something alluring about the star.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Didn't break the car in, did ya?

How can it be your last if you want another?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 PM

MB tech has to be a car salesman. Listen to that attitude. Just hand over your money and go away. Its the same attitude MB has. The training there must be good. They have 2 choice this week, order me a new car or refund my money. They other option is the lemon law or a class action suite. MB tech I am sure you want me to go away. The smoke im blowing is from the burn oil, dipstick. Hell MB can't even figure out how to contact me. They called my father is another state who was listed as my nearest relative, even though I called them many times requesting help and information. He wanted to give them my number but they said they had it. Of course I never heard from them. These are the guys I want swapping my engine,lol. They are just like MB Tech, they think I am going away. You are so wrong. We should know something this week, or the dealer will have a rude awaking as I park my oil burner in front of there shop and talk to custmers as they come shopping. The pile of replaced engines is growing rapidly if you read the forums. But thats ok right MB Tech, just shut up and pay. Got to love this guy. I really wish he was my dealer. Fess up big mouth who you actually work for. Sounds like you are a star employee. Another used car sleaze ball.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:54 PM

MB Body tech- sounds like a hammer monkey to me. Need to work up to being a sleazy used car salesman. Too funny.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:40 AM

Go away??? I dont want that. It is a-holes like you tha makes my job fun. Seeing you get so worked up over a car? Do you honestly have nothing better to do than trash talk? This thread is getting so amusing with every post by you. ohh well, my 02 ml500 runs great. Come on...keep these great posts comming....I need some good laughs.
MB tech has to be a car salesman. Listen to that attitude. Just hand over your money and go away. Its the same attitude MB has. The training there must be good. They have 2 choice this week, order me a new car or refund my money. They other option is the lemon law or a class action suite. MB tech I am sure you want me to go away. The smoke im blowing is from the burn oil, dipstick. Hell MB can't even figure out how to contact me. They called my father is another state who was listed as my nearest relative, even though I called them many times requesting help and information. He wanted to give them my number but they said they had it. Of course I never heard from them. These are the guys I want swapping my engine,lol. They are just like MB Tech, they think I am going away. You are so wrong. We should know something this week, or the dealer will have a rude awaking as I park my oil burner in front of there shop and talk to custmers as they come shopping. The pile of replaced engines is growing rapidly if you read the forums. But thats ok right MB Tech, just shut up and pay. Got to love this guy. I really wish he was my dealer. Fess up big mouth who you actually work for. Sounds like you are a star employee. Another used car sleaze ball.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:22 AM

2005 ML 350
yeah it is a good laugh,
Old 07-11-2005, 01:46 AM

I am frustrated to pay top dollar for a car and 20% of the miles on it driving to the dealer for service. It would be more but I was lucky enough to have it towed in, and the dealer came to me once. The joke is MB does not have a clue what they are doing. My dealer showed me 3 totally different memos on the oil problem. All totally different on what to check and what to do. I forgot ML God is another dealer dirt bag. What are you laughing at ML 350 you could be looking at the same problem. I thought buying a MB was quality and my wife what have a nice car to drive. All I have gotten for my money is a POS. My wife who's last car was a Jag said today we should just get a regular car like a Toyota or something that is reliable. Is that the image that MB is trying to achieve. If your new car was burning a quart of oil every 700 miles you would be singing a different tune. What I did expect was MB to step and take care of the problem. I have a life and screwing around trying to get this car fixed is not how a want to spent my summer. I guess to you MB guys that is funny. But when the quality keeps droping and the consumers quit buying we will see who is laughing. People like you and MBbodytech make me sick to even own the POS. It will be my last and I will tell everyone I know. You right its just a chunk of iron. I poorly made and tested piece of German iron that cost too much and smokes like a 2 stroke. I posted so other with this engine can keep an eye on there in case they have the same problems. I know that the last thing you two jokers understand. Talked to the wife tonight and guess what? The oil light is on again. Surprise-Surprise. I do not fault my dealer. They are doing what MB tells them to do.
Its unfortunate because they are the one who will be losing the business. My VP of customer service who has had 3 MB's from the same dealer just bought a Lexas on Sat. because he has seen the quality droping and the problems I have had. What makes it worse is the total lack of contact or response from MB. Thats is really my biggest issue. But based onthe response from MBgod and MBbodytech that is standard operating procedure for MB. Those of you with this same engine all I can say is good luck and keep your fingers crossed.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:03 PM

The joke is MB does not have a clue what they are doing.
That is the best one yet!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ML God
That is the best one yet!!!
Then mister know it all. Why are these engines burning oil and MB replacing cars and motors. What was the secret fix that has cured the problem? There isn't one! Can you tell me another engine that has had to had so many engines replaced in such a short period of time. You can't. How about a vehicle in this price range with this many engine problems so soon. MB that's it. Any why should I not get pissed off. The lack of responce from MB is an example of how they do not care any more. Read the posts! There are a lot of other readers here that can not get a respose either. Just wait by the phone right ML God? This site is only a small sampling of actually MB owners. What are the number of bad engines really out there. I lot more then on this site I am sure. Most MB owner I would think do not post here. They may read it but are not memebers. I would bet on less then 10% but probably less then 5%. If I was not mad at this disappointing experience I would be a ***** like you ML God. When I owned a Jag and it was in for service I was driving a Jag
as a loner. Same for Infiniti, Toyota, and for that fact Chevy. With my new Jag we are driving a Jeep Liberty. What is up with that. We all their quality issues you would think that is the least they can do. Oh I got it. They are not reliable enough to me used as loners. Now I get the picture.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:07 AM

Again with the name calling......Yea your right I am A$$hole. I am done with this fool!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 AM

2005 ML 350
hi redvettx2,

we have the 112 engine not the 272 engine,

so i do not have this problem,

and the oil light on my ml never came on before since when it had 100 miles until the car reach 5k miles,

so we have nothing to worry about except minor problems on the car,

Old 07-12-2005, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by ML God
Again with the name calling......Yea your right I am A$$hole. I am done with this fool!
Can't blame you there. Seems as if this guy can't get any help from MB. Can you blame MB for acting like this as I assume he talks to them like he posts. If I were them I would walk away and let the chips fall where ever they may.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Let me just say that you're talking about an engine not a motor. A motor is an electrical device except in NASCAR country

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML350 owner beware!!!! Oil burner!!!!