M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML350 owner beware!!!! Oil burner!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my replacement 06' SLK 350 is on order. They have also already replaced the motor- An engine is what pulls a train. I prefer NASCAR lingo,lol.
I have put 2000 miles on the new motor on a trip through MT and it did not burn a drop. But MB says burning a qrt every 800 miles on a brand new car is acceptable. Yes, for a 72 Nova with 200k on it! Other SLK 350 owners are still being jerked around with this on going issue. Wish we could get an answer as to what the problem is and that it is fixed. I was very disappointed in the customer service of MB. When I did finally get to the right guy he totally agreed. He was actually surprised i want to order another one. I could have had a full refund. I like the car, not sure about MB yet. I know I hate Phil Smart in Seattle. Good luck all.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by redvettx2
10% to 15% of skl 350 owner on survey on this site! MB does not know what the problem is and continues to ship-business as ussual. I talk to a guy just back from MB training and they know they have a problem but no idea of what it is. They want to replace the motors. You know when you check engine oil light comes on 3 times in 2100 miles. Just keep and eye on your cars. We all have the same motor. i just want MB to make it right but I do not want a repalcement engine in a brand new car. Can you say plummeting resale values. i just want a replacement. I love the car.
Like that's reliable statistics!
Old 05-13-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ml 350 special edition 2005
Yes I agree with him ml 350 special edition consumption is high

Originally Posted by redvettx2
I am glad for those of you with no issues. I wish i could say the same. I get home from traveling last night and check the oil level and it is over the top of the stick and actually on the cable. They over filled it which a knew they did from 3000 miles away. I had checked it on Sunday and it was down about 3/4 of quart from past experiences. The light came on on the way to the dealer. I knew adding 3.5 quarts was not right. It is burning about a quart every 1000 miles not every 400 or it would look like a 2 stroke. I started a case with MB today. They said they car should have been drained and the oil premeasured and then added to the car and verified. Then returned in 600 miles and then drained and remeasured. Sounds like the right procedure to me. Instead my dealer poured in 3.5 quarts overfilling the car. If you don't know how much oil is in the car to start how do you know what it consumed.
MB is either going to said a tech to my house to verify the engine level or have me take it to another dealer who is closer to my home to verify and possibly drain and refill. Not what I wanted to do. Going to be 85 today and the water is calling my name but i will do what has to be done. Also a person just back from training with MB said this was a major topic and MB does not know why some of the motors are burning oil and other are fine. It is not a batch issues from what they know. All I am saying is keep and eye out if you have this motor. If your's is good I am happy for you. I wish mine was. We love the car but I have no confidence with my dealer doing an engine swap when they can not even fill the oil or do a consumption check properly. There has been oil consumption polls on several sights and I am quoting the results I have seen. I do not know the offical number and it sounds like MB sure is not going to tell the public how big the problem really is. They are obviously concerned and searching for the problem. They have already bought cars back and swapped engines which were sent back to Germany for evaluation.
If this is a big problem resale values could be hurt big time. If a car gets label as a problem child we all know what happens. As far as the rude and ignorant replys posted here you sure sound like an MB dealer or tech who has a personnel interest in selling these and keeping things quite. This is suppose to be for the exchange of information and to help other members. That all I am trying to do. Not bash MB but to find the solution and fix my wifes car.
Period!!!
yes I agree with you but what is the solution that was why keep searching before I saw your message.Thanks