M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Damn!! Tranny Isuues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got the car today and all seems to be fixed with the transmission. as per the DTB they replaced the valve body with the new one, screws, gaskets and I'm all set. I really appreciate the bulletin link.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:21 PM

ML350 Me, C230 Kompressor Wife
My ML350 is in the shop tonight and a MB Rep is to drive it tommorrow. I'll let you know what happens. The sd says my ML should never had been sold Vin # 705 for 2006. Whats that tell you.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by newml500
got the car today and all seems to be fixed with the transmission. as per the DTB they replaced the valve body with the new one, screws, gaskets and I'm all set. I really appreciate the bulletin link.
hey newml500,

does your work order show any transmissions being order too. i just had the valve body replaced and the transmission has been acting weird since. no more jerkiness, but the upshifts are not as smooth as before. my work order doesn't mention they changed the transmission, but it does say 7 transmissions ordered in the parts section????
Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 PM

2006 ML350
My new ML seems to have some trans issues as well. I do notice a minor bump into either 1st or 2nd when coasting to a stop. What irritates me more is a funky up shift into 2nd when the car is cold. It seems my trans has a hard time deciding when to go into 2nd then it shifts hard. It's like driving into a pothole every morning when I leave the driveway. I took the car in last week to Walter's MB to have them look at it. It worked just fine driving home after picking the car up. Next morning, same thing again.

Anyone else have the funky shifting when accelerating??

Gonna try again Friday.

TFLG

Last edited by TFLG; 03-29-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Almost a Member!

7 transmissions

kryptonite
the item for 7 transmission is for the screws they replaced. I've definitely noticed a difference but since it's the wife's car, I've decided to wait a while since they tell me tranny needs to adapt...
cheers
Old 04-27-2006, 01:45 PM

ML350 Me, C230 Kompressor Wife
They say in the morning its the warm up phase, and it is supposed to do that.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:06 AM

Murphy's Law

Hello all, I am confused on the TSB I posted that all of you have found usefull in solving your problem. By the way I found it doing searches, I do not take credit for it.

I took my ML500 to the Service Rep and advised 4 weeks in advanced that I was going to ask for this transmision problem when my next service was sheduled (5000 miles) so that they have the appropiate parts. They did not pay much atention and were a little confused that a customer was telling them what was supposed to be done.

They gave me back the car and told me everything was fixed and that they reprogramed the shift patterns. I asked if they did EXACTLY what the TSB said and they said yes in a doubtfull manner. The repair report did not mention replacement of anything.

Since I still feel a little bump from 2 to 1st gear at a trafic stop, less than before I admit. How can I cofirm this job was done and that the valve was replaced? Not just reporgramed since some of you already had done that with no resolution. Can you find what Valve part number I have by my VIN? Can any of you do this?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:22 PM

Problems after valve body replacement

Hi all,

I also had the valve body replaced for my early 2006 ML350 and the hard shift from 2nd to 1st mostly disappeared.

However I think there is still some problem with the tranny:

1)Occasionally, especially when going slowly downhill, the shift to 2nd(?) gear (up & down) is quite harsh. Also I can hear a not so loud loose metallic sound ("clunk") from the gearbox direction.

2)When switching the gear from P to N,D or R when car is parked in incline (e.g. uphill) the release from P is very harsh. The more incline or the more weight in the car, the louder the "clunk". The sound comes when the tranny releases the P, not when the D/R is engaged. I understand that the car is "leaning on the P gear" but in other cars I have driven the release has been much smoother.

Anybody having similar issues after Valve body replacement? Especially do you get the "clunk" when shifting away from P on incline? Local dealer claimed that it is normal. Sounds bad to me if that's the case.

Regards,

Carl
Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Tranny issues

Originally Posted by Carl_CA
Hi all,

I also had the valve body replaced for my early 2006 ML350 and the hard shift from 2nd to 1st mostly disappeared.

However I think there is still some problem with the tranny:
. . .
2)When switching the gear from P to N,D or R when car is parked in incline (e.g. uphill) the release from P is very harsh. The more incline or the more weight in the car, the louder the "clunk". The sound comes when the tranny releases the P, not when the D/R is engaged. I understand that the car is "leaning on the P gear" but in other cars I have driven the release has been much smoother.

Anybody having similar issues after Valve body replacement? Especially do you get the "clunk" when shifting away from P on incline? Local dealer claimed that it is normal. Sounds bad to me if that's the case.
Do you apply the brake before shifting out of park? Park engages a mechanical lock (dogs) into a "gear" with large teeth. It is only natural that suddenly releasing this lock while under load would do as you describe. If you apply the foot brake it should minimize or eliminate this.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:16 PM

Hi,

In my case pressing the brake pedal has no impact to the "clunk". (It is not even possible to shift the gear away from P without pressing the brake pedal.)

I think it would be indeed good if the pressing of the brake would somehow release (at least most of) the tension towards the P-gear. Now it does not do it and the release from P is really hard in steeper inclines or heavier car.

I always see heads turning around me when releasing the P ;-)

BR:Carl
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Parking release clunk

Hi,

In my case pressing the brake pedal has no impact to the "clunk". (It is not even possible to shift the gear away from P without pressing the brake pedal.)

I think it would be indeed good if the pressing of the brake would somehow release (at least most of) the tension towards the P-gear. Now it does not do it and the release from P is really hard in steeper inclines or heavier car.

I always see heads turning around me when releasing the P ;-)
BR:Carl
BTW, there is a great cutaway view of the 7G-Tronic transmission on p. 76 of the May/June 2006 The Star (MBCA) that clearly shows the parking lock.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by jdr1000
Hello all, I am confused on the TSB I posted that all of you have found usefull in solving your problem. By the way I found it doing searches, I do not take credit for it.

I took my ML500 to the Service Rep and advised 4 weeks in advanced that I was going to ask for this transmision problem when my next service was sheduled (5000 miles) so that they have the appropiate parts. They did not pay much atention and were a little confused that a customer was telling them what was supposed to be done.

They gave me back the car and told me everything was fixed and that they reprogramed the shift patterns. I asked if they did EXACTLY what the TSB said and they said yes in a doubtfull manner. The repair report did not mention replacement of anything.

Since I still feel a little bump from 2 to 1st gear at a trafic stop, less than before I admit. How can I cofirm this job was done and that the valve was replaced? Not just reporgramed since some of you already had done that with no resolution. Can you find what Valve part number I have by my VIN? Can any of you do this?
Write a letter and attach the DTB to it and state that you would like data showing the work was performed. It should say the DTB # as a reference on your invoice. If it does not, it was not done. the DTB lists the part numbers needed and work needed,and your invoice should reflect those. The only other way is to audit the records.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i

Regards,

Carl
No matter what car I drive, I ALWAYS use the parking brake. Doesn't matter if it is a loaner or rental. While the transmission certainly does keep the car in place, the parking brake is preferred. Safety wise, too.

I follow this ritual to make sure that no pressure is applied to the transmission while I park the car:
First, switch to N, apply parking brake, and release foot brake. This gives the car a chance to move if it needs to, and to make sure that the parking brake is holding.
Then, I apply pressure back to the foot brake, and switch in to P.

Once you get used to the ritual, it is really quite easy.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by alewifebp
No matter what car I drive, I ALWAYS use the parking brake. Doesn't matter if it is a loaner or rental. While the transmission certainly does keep the car in place, the parking brake is preferred. Safety wise, too.

I follow this ritual to make sure that no pressure is applied to the transmission while I park the car:
First, switch to N, apply parking brake, and release foot brake. This gives the car a chance to move if it needs to, and to make sure that the parking brake is holding.
Then, I apply pressure back to the foot brake, and switch in to P.

Once you get used to the ritual, it is really quite easy.
Actually, not a bad habit, especially on inclines. i used to do this in my **** days.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:47 PM

ML350 '06
Jangy,

What's the latest with your ML? Last I read you left it with your local dealer and they were going to charge you for storage b/c you refused to take it back. Just curious as to how they are treating you.

My wife's ML350 should arrive any day now but I don't know if I'm going to take delivery of it. I preferred the ML500 but none were available so I put my name on this one since the dealer had it on order already. I was thinking about holding out for the '07, especially hearing many people complain about the jerky tranny when coming to a stop.

Thanks,
Nick

PS Whoops, I just read your update in another post. So that answered my question. Thanks!

Last edited by Nickerz; 07-21-2006 at 10:52 PM.