M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Lower Sportier stance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower Sportier stance?

I am trying to decide between the M and E class wagon. What can be done to the M class to make it look lower and sportier?

I do not really need the AWD but want the room the M and E wagon have. I really don't like the looks of the E wagon. Hence my hedging towards the M. But I want it lower and sportier.

Any Help?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Lowering ML

Originally Posted by Cairorex
I am trying to decide between the M and E class wagon. What can be done to the M class to make it look lower and sportier?

I do not really need the AWD but want the room the M and E wagon have. I really don't like the looks of the E wagon. Hence my hedging towards the M. But I want it lower and sportier.

Any Help?
Most of the tuners (Brabus, Lorinser, Carlsson, etc.) will have suspension modifications to lower with either with new steel springs/shcoks or a control modification for the air suspension. Per flipsonic, the Brabus system is $1,595 for the steel and $1,695 for the air. The upcoming R-Class is lower, but it's more oriented toward people hauling than cargo, depending on what you need.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:38 AM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by Cairorex

Any Help?
Yes, the M class can be lowered. You don't have the choice regarding the AWD because all M classes come with it. Since you want it to look sportier, you may want to ask yourself if you are willing to give up the ride comfort. Eventhough Brabus claim it will not be too bumpy, I have friends that went through the experience of lowering their SUVs and said there is noticeable difference. Yes the handling and look is better, but are you willing to forgo your warranty? If none of this matters to you, go for it.

As for me, I have been pondering on this the last week or so. Then it came to me. Yes the car will look and handle like a sportscar when lowered. But do I want to give up the ride comfort of a Mercedes? No. Am I willing to pay out of my own pocket if my suspension goes bad after lowering? No. Although I want to make it look sportier, I use it as a family car not a race car. So I think I will just put on 20" wheels and thats it.

My advice, think about it hard before you spend the money. Ask a lot of questions.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Lowering

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Yes, the M class can be lowered. You don't have the choice regarding the AWD because all M classes come with it. Since you want it to look sportier, you may want to ask yourself if you are willing to give up the ride comfort. Eventhough Brabus claim it will not be too bumpy, I have friends that went through the experience of lowering their SUVs and said there is noticeable difference. Yes the handling and look is better, but are you willing to forgo your warranty? If none of this matters to you, go for it.

As for me, I have been pondering on this the last week or so. Then it came to me. Yes the car will look and handle like a sportscar when lowered. But do I want to give up the ride comfort of a Mercedes? No. Am I willing to pay out of my own pocket if my suspension goes bad after lowering? No. Although I want to make it look sportier, I use it as a family car not a race car. So I think I will just put on 20" wheels and thats it.

My advice, think about it hard before you spend the money. Ask a lot of questions.
Good advice.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:47 PM

Messing with Suspension

One would have to be a fool or crazy rich to mess with the suspension on one of these if in fact it would void the warrenty!

So that leaves me with getting best looks with bigger wheels .......
oTHER IDEAS?

Warrenty is a must on any of these new MB's... Thier track record has been disappointing!