M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rear Seat Entertainment Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55
Rear Seat Entertainment Questions

Ok, I'm starting to look into the new ML and one big consideration is rear seat entertainment. We have 2 young kids and my wife and I decided that her new car would definitely have it. I know there are tons of aftermarket solutions, but I usually prefer an integrated system for a variety of reasons.

In the US market, I see that there is a dealer installed RSE system consisting of a single screen in between the seat. For any of you who have had it installed, I wonder if you might answer a few questions:

- Is the system integrated into the main audio system? In other words, can the audio from the RSE be output through the car's speakers or is it headphone only?

- Does it have an aux AV input?

- Can it be controlled from the Nav screen? I know there's probably no chance the video can be displayed on the front nav screen here in the US without an aftermarket mod, which I don't care about, but I am interested in whether the system can be controlled from the Nav screen. My kids are under age 3, so we would have to start things up for them, etc. I'm sure it comes with a remote, but I'm guessing that the only IR receiver is on the unit in the back seat, so it might be tough to use the remote from up front.

- Where is the DVD drive? Does the RSE come with a DVD drive installed in the cargo area (if so, is it single disc or a changer?) or does it use a drive behind the Nav screen? In my 04 S55, the drive behind the nav screen can be used to feed an RSE system, although MBUSA in their infinite wisdom never offered the RSE option over here.

Separately, if anyone has a link to a manual for the system online, that would be great. Also, I think I saw someone mention on the forum that there is a factory installed RSE system with headrest monitors. Since I don't see it on MBUSA's site, I'm guessing that it's not available yet or just not in the US market (if that's the case, then again, thank you MBUSA ).

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 10-16-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
RSE system

There's some info and a photo link in this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...id=52#M1567570

The headrest-mounted system is currently available in the R-Class, ans should be available for the ML by next year, I would guess.