M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Has anyone picked up a stone in there front brake discs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML420cdi Sport
Has anyone picked up a stone in there front brake discs

Well, I did BIG TIME!!!!!

On my way to a meeting Friday Morning (By unbeliveable chance next door to my local MB dealership.

I minute out of my drive, turned the radio down to hear the loudest squeal I have ever heard in my life ( I am not lieing here).

I stop at a safe place and see nothing in wheels, drive a bit further put in neutral to make sure it isnt transmission ( it still squealled).

Decided to nurse it to the dealer I ring them while im on the way, The dealer could not believe it was car making the noise, Everyboby wether in other cars or on foot or in the there houses were looking it was so loud!!!!.

Got to the dealer, left car with them walked to my meeting 1.5 hours later back to dealer.

Told mediem size stone had got in the disc or between cover and disc ( im not sure what the service guy meant) and they had to take all the brakes apart to get it out, They told me i would not have got it out myself, and they could not worked out how it got in

Anyhow the dealer was superb again doing the job so quickly, and when i asked how much i owed them for the job, i was told,

No Charge Sir. Thank you Robinsons,

Has Anyone had a simaler problem.

Are my brakes disc damaged by the stone ( i drove 3 miles at 20mph)

PS i have never been OFF ROAD

Last edited by slsteve; 11-19-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Never happened to me in my ML, but years ago it did happen in another car. No rotor damage then. I trust that if your dealer saw the rotor damaged he would have replaced it.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML500,2005 Toyota 4Runner, 2006 F150 King Ranch, Kawasaki ZX1400 Ninja, 1978 Jeep CJ7
Not on my ML, but in other trucks I have. Last winter, I by chance went to town, tried to put tranny in park, and was stiff, made a scartchy/grinding sound, moved selector back and forward again and it went in fine. Drove away, maybe 1/2 a block, and same thing when I parked, just a little different this time. Got it home in my shop, and crawled under to find a rock somehow bounced up, rolled down into the shifter linkage right at the tranny. Not sure how it got passed the guard, other than came from above. Just a 1 in a millon chance, probably same as your brake.
There is a guard that covers most of the disc area, so this doen't happen. It has a decent space between it and the disc, but these things can happen. The disc probably didn't get gouged/damaged, since it's pretty hard metal, and the stone just grinds down on it, maybe a scratch, but wouldn't worry, unless braking seems funny after some time.