M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Confused !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2005 | 10:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Confused !!!

I was on the freeway when I herd a big "bang" like a rock hit my car. It seems to come from the roof area.
I stopped the car and looked but I could no see any evidence of a hit. By the noise and the speed of the car I thought I would have a lot of damage.

When I got home and turned the engine off, again a noise but not as loud.

This was a week ago and nothing happened since.

I was thinking to take the truck to the dealer but I would not know where to have them started.

Any ideas will be welcome. I have a 500 with almost all the options including air suspension (I thought this might be the problem but it is working).

Last edited by dserban2; 11-28-2005 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Add elements
Old 11-28-2005 | 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Big bang

Originally Posted by dserban2
I was on the freeway when I herd a big "bang" like a rock hit my car. It seems to come from the roof area.
I stopped the car and looked but I could no see any evidence of a hit. By the noise and the speed of the car I thought I would have a lot of damage.

When I got home and turned the engine off, again a noise but not as loud.

This was a week ago and nothing happened since.

I was thinking to take the truck to the dealer but I would not know where to have them started.

Any ideas will be welcome. I have a 500 with almost all the options including air suspension (I thought this might be the problem but it is working).
Without other symptoms it's hard to know where to start. A cracking windshield can make that noise, but you would have noticed that.
Old 11-28-2005 | 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

No crack window and the sound was more metallic. One thing I noticed, before the Big Bang when the car was parked for a while, opening and closing the doors made the suspension to make a whoosh sound, which I been told is normal.
Now, it does not but I can raise and lower the car so I think the system is working.