M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Navigation question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Navigation question

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum however I have been a long time MB owner. I have a 1991 190E that I had purchased new and I am very soon to be (in 2 weeks) a proud owner of an ML350. I am now looking at all the options trying to figure out what I need and what I don't etc...

My question is the following: If I don't get my ML with navigation does that mean that the dashboard will be different (without the screen) or do they leave the screen installed for other uses such as radio, cd player etc...
I have never seen a picture of an ML without a screen so I am wondering.

Also, what do you guys think about the rear seat entertainment system (dvd player, screen, and headphones) Those of you that have it?
Thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Options

Originally Posted by aggst1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum however I have been a long time MB owner. I have a 1991 190E that I had purchased new and I am very soon to be (in 2 weeks) a proud owner of an ML350. I am now looking at all the options trying to figure out what I need and what I don't etc...

My question is the following: If I don't get my ML with navigation does that mean that the dashboard will be different (without the screen) or do they leave the screen installed for other uses such as radio, cd player etc...
I have never seen a picture of an ML without a screen so I am wondering.

Also, what do you guys think about the rear seat entertainment system (dvd player, screen, and headphones) Those of you that have it?
Thanks
Yes, you still get a screen wtih COMAND that will handle the audio functions.

As for RSES, I can't comment from first hand experience, but I the dual headrest-mounted version that is now available for the R-Class seems to be the way to go. I don't believe it is yet available for the ML, but should be soon.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Yes, you still get a screen wtih COMAND that will handle the audio functions.

As for RSES, I can't comment from first hand experience, but I the dual headrest-mounted version that is now available for the R-Class seems to be the way to go. I don't believe it is yet available for the ML, but should be soon.
My dealer had an ML350 on the floor with the headrest mounted screens. I was told that it was an aftermarket set up, They apparently send only the headrests to someone in CA to have them installed. And, as Greg insinuated they will eventually be available from the factory.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i purchased these head rests after i bought my ML and installed them myself. it was ALOT cheaper and better than what the dealership had. the dealership had that single one behind the center console.

i didnt have to send them my headrests; instead they will send you new headrests with the monitors installed. the ones i bought had the DVD player as part of the monitors, so each kid can watch their own movie. everything was included, even the wireless headphones and the FM modulator.

you give them the year, color and make of your car and thats it. the headrests are a little bit bigger (not by much) and the leather is an exact match. the only difference is that they will not go all the way down, because the stock headrest have a curved bar. its not an issue at all, especially becaue the space left is where keep the headphones (see pic)

the installation was suprisingly easier than expected. ill do a write up if anyone is interested, but the place i bought it from now offers a $300 installation credit.

I found two types of headrest units with DVD player and screen as one unit: AUDIOVOX and VISUALOGIC. I chose the AUDIOVOX because 1) it was alot cheaper 2) its already prewired so i can put a dvd in one monitor and it can be shown on both screens. in the VISUALOGIC you need to plug in a wire to the other screen.
3) it was alot cheaper.

hope this helps.
post if you have any questions.

Last edited by chuey12; 01-09-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
not to be a stickler, but the MLs don't have COMMAND. ALL of the MLs have the same unit, with or without Nav. You can always add NAV later and have ALL features. The Rear entertainment system is a dealer add on anyway, so again, you can always add it later. Folks are getting pretty good with the systems (monitor placement), so you may want to consider it. I looked into the MB system, but my Boy just didn't seem comfy looking down like that. Instead, I have the overhead system in the Jeep and now he has to stare UP!