M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

LED replacement bulbs for position light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Lexus RX400h
Question LED replacement bulbs for position light?

Hi, all

Well, it had to come - I couldn't leave the W164 unmodded

Nothing much - I just wanted to change the "normal" position light bulbs to LED ones. The standard ones look VERY yellowish next to the Xenons.

I've had the LED's lying around for some time, because just getting at these bulbs is a nightmare, and there seems to be no easy way to pull the whole lamp unit like on the W163.

But today I managed, although it took time, patience and some words (note that the very visible YELLOW plug is NOT the one for the position light - it commands, I think, one of the autolevel motors). I got the bulb in, but it blinked for a short while before going out altogether. Is the electrical system really that sophisticated/oversensitive that you have to put in a compensation resistor, even for the 5W position light bulb??
Old 03-01-2006, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,183 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Bulb replacement

Originally Posted by Birger
Hi, all
But today I managed, although it took time, patience and some words (note that the very visible YELLOW plug is NOT the one for the position light - it commands, I think, one of the autolevel motors). I got the bulb in, but it blinked for a short while before going out altogether. Is the electrical system really that sophisticated/oversensitive that you have to put in a compensation resistor, even for the 5W position light bulb??
Not sure about your issue. I have the blue-tinted wedge bulbs I'm planning on installing, though, like you, I've been putting it off because they're a bitc_h to get to. Are you getting a bulb out indication?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:48 PM

CLK500
A resistor is needed to stop the blinking and the malfunction message. I'm not sure what ohm you need, i think mine was 6.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:44 AM

'07 Lexus RX400h
Hi, Greg

Yes, I got a bulb out indication too. I am currently considering just putting in a set of blue-colored incandescent bulbs like the ones you have - the hassle of having to find the correct resistor, fitting it safely etc. may be more than the visual benefit gained from the LED's.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,183 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Replacement bulb

Originally Posted by Birger
Hi, Greg

Yes, I got a bulb out indication too. I am currently considering just putting in a set of blue-colored incandescent bulbs like the ones you have - the hassle of having to find the correct resistor, fitting it safely etc. may be more than the visual benefit gained from the LED's.
I think the blue-tinted inscandescents may be a better color match to the HIDs than the LEDs. White LEDs have a higher color temperature than the HIDs, which run about 4,300k, I believe.