M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Question About ML Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2006 | 01:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Question About ML Suspension

Hello Guys, like you know I know next to nothing about cars. I got the ML 350 with everything but the Airmatic (crap !!!) it was a gift so...I have to deal with it (I did not search forums before I got it...so I wasn't really aware of any of the Airmatic benefits). However, I was wondering how different is the ride with the Airmatic...that's just curiosity though...is it completely smooth...like no feeling the road (I'll probably shoot myself after your answers)...however the real question is...I can feel the road a bit in the ML (especially if you go on the back seat) of course it depends on the road...if its crapy you feel it more (I guess the Airmatic will help with that?) but in my case will getting a new suspension help? or new wheels? I don't know...any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2006 | 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Airmatic is excellent. It gives you the ability to have the ML ride like an MB sedan and also allows the adjustment of the ride/handling to suit your preferences, comfort, auto and sport. In addition it allows you to raise the vehicle when necessary. Before ordering I drove one with and one without. There was no contest and of course I selected Airmatic. It is well worth the additional expendature. As for changing the suspension, I would suggest you not do it as there will be no significant improvement in the ride and you could degrade it. Some have gone with aftermarket springs but the only advantage as I see it is that it lowers the vehicle. There has been little or no comment on a change of ride. Why on earth would you purchase an SUV and then try to lower it?? That defeats one of the primary reasons an SUV is purchased, if thats what you want you should have bought a sedan or conventional car.
Old 03-03-2006 | 04:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi, no my intention was not really to lower the vehicle...it was to make it a smoother ride...good to know the suspension won't do that. As for Airmatic, I would have loved to know about it before hand...I really do not need to raise the vehicle...quite frankly we get SUV's and never use them to their full potential...I never go offroading so raising the ML was not a priority...I thought that was mainly what the Airmatic did. However, you say it helps you have a ride more like a "sedan." Quite frankly the ride in my ML is not that bad...I think is like a car...I do not feel it like a truck, but I guess Airmatic would have given me an even smoother ride...darn...what can I say I wish I had visited this forum before my purchase...now I have to live with it...is not that bad though.
Thanks.
Old 03-03-2006 | 05:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I am also a huge fan of the airmatic, however, I have to disagree with sosh about the value in changing out the current suspension. Yes, people do change out springs to lower the ride, but that is not all that can be done. You can definitely make the ride much more refined by replacing current OEM parts with aftermarket ones. Springs, not only control ride height, but also compression rates (progressive versus linear, total travel, etc.) From what you say, it sounds that the height is not what you want changed, and my suggestion would be to look into some upgraded shocks. You can get a HUGE difference in ride quality from a simple swap out. The cost is around $500 installed for some premium shocks that can be configured to match the ride that you desire. You may have to live with what you have, but the Benz suspension is an extremely nice platform to tune. As you say, the ride is not exactly bad as is. Ask your service representative and I am sure they will agree that a new set of shocks is the way to go. Tell us the details of what you end up doing and beware that the mod bug does not get you. Shocks were the first one modification I ever threw at my old BMW and it has been an addiction ever since.
Old 03-05-2006 | 11:52 AM
ON PROBATION

Bilstein Heavy Duty's should be a serious consideration for you - probably the easisest and best-odds switch-out to make on any SUV -- even on a Benz....

I order my MBZ SUV's with Airmatic; I change-out my other-make SUV's with the Bilsteins.