M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

test drove a 350!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2006 | 02:28 AM

test drove a 350!!!

I am in the market for an SUV and drove the 350 today and fell in love!!

I have a question or two because my salesman was pretty new (I had to navigate him thru the MB website). Originally I was set on the premium package because of the leather option but after seeing the trim option and the seats with the leather inserts I am probably going to go with that. My question is what is the other fabric on the rest of the front seats and completely on the back seats? Is this some sort of vinyl? It looks like leather....just a bit confused. Is the premium worth the extra $$$ over the trim package? Also considering the entertaiment, lighting, navi, heated seats and satellite. Should I skip any of these?
Does the air suspension really affect your ride? I am in Chicago and this will be used for city driving only. Worth it? Also any recommendations for dealers in this area? I do not want to deal with Fletcher Jones......
I have been a Volvo driver and have always loved them so this will be my first Mercedes. How is their reputaion when it comes to service?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2006 | 06:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes-Benz 2006 ML350 , '04 VW R32
I would strongly recommend the Airmatic. I've had my ML350 for a week and it is outstanding. The other options tend to be a matter of personal preference and creature comforts. I went with most of them. Parktronic seems helpful but after a month I could probably gauge the car's corners pretty well myself. If you are short, the power lift gate (std on premium) would be helpful. And in Chicago, do NOT skip on heated seats!

Last edited by Chuck; 03-09-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2006 | 10:02 AM

1963 220Sb
Everyone Everyone Everyone says Airmatic is a MUST, so go with that, and just like Chuck said, the rest of the options depend on your personal preferences.
Old 03-09-2006 | 11:51 AM

wife's car2014 ml350
the wife and i got the 350 and love it, we never drove a car with the airmatic so i can't suggest it but like you said everybody that has it loves it. all i can say is that it rides night and day over our old 99; 430ml.
Old 03-09-2006 | 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
ML350 options

Originally Posted by tammi
I am in the market for an SUV and drove the 350 today and fell in love!!

I have a question or two because my salesman was pretty new (I had to navigate him thru the MB website). Originally I was set on the premium package because of the leather option but after seeing the trim option and the seats with the leather inserts I am probably going to go with that. My question is what is the other fabric on the rest of the front seats and completely on the back seats? Is this some sort of vinyl? It looks like leather....just a bit confused. Is the premium worth the extra $$$ over the trim package? Also considering the entertaiment, lighting, navi, heated seats and satellite. Should I skip any of these?
Does the air suspension really affect your ride? I am in Chicago and this will be used for city driving only. Worth it? Also any recommendations for dealers in this area? I do not want to deal with Fletcher Jones......
I have been a Volvo driver and have always loved them so this will be my first Mercedes. How is their reputaion when it comes to service?
- With the leather inserts tha balance of the seat is MBTex, which is M-B's vinyl. It is a very good replica of the leather, except for smell and breathability. I am not particularly fond of the type of leather in the ML, however (thick and bumpy). I have the Alcantara/MBTex which I like. I would have gotten full leather if you could get it without wood trim.
- The value of the Premium package is something you'll have to decide yourself.
- The lighting package is excellent with the steering HIDs. Heated seats I could not live without in my climate. The NAV is okay, but not on par with the Japanese ones. The Sirius is okay, except I get a lot of dropouts in areas with trees, etc.--works fine on the highway.
- Service varies widely by dealer. Mine is excellent, but as with almost any make, you hear very different stories from some.