M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rain Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
S63 COUPE M157
Rain Sensor

Hi,
I got my car 4 months ago and still dont know anything about the rain sensor. The option list doesnt say if the car is equipped with that or not, but I can see something behind the front rearview mirror....looks like red display or something. That might actually be a rain sensor, but anyways, how do I find out if I have it or not? The manual is in german and I dont speak german.
Thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Put your wipers on speed 1 on the wiperarm and sprinkle some water on your frontscreen just where the rearview mirror is. Your wipers should now automatically start to wipe the frontscreen if you have the rainsensor.

Btw tell us about how the handling / windnoise is at 220km/h
Old 05-04-2006, 01:44 PM

S63 COUPE M157
Originally Posted by AR.Shah
Hi,
the handling is easy even on such speeds.....really, the car amazed me how good the handling was on that kind of speed. Windnoise, absolutely not....at least I didnt pay attention to it. So basically the car felt like a normal sport sedan....
Old 05-04-2006, 02:12 PM

'03-ML350 'inspiration'
Put your wipers on speed 1 on the wiperarm and sprinkle some water on your frontscreen just where the rearview mirror is. Your wipers should now automatically start to wipe the frontscreen if you have the rainsensor.

Very interesting...b/c I don't remember when I purchased mine--whether or not it has that option...After reading this, I went out to look--and noticed that my rear mirror also has a clear(not red)--some sort of a sensor, at the back. Is this the sensor we're talking about? This brings up 2 questions I'd like to ask:
1) WITHOUT RAIN SENSOR > With intermittent (speed 1?)...How can I adjust the timing so it's not wiping just few drops of rain?

2) WITH RAIN SENSOR > How can one adjust the amount/volume of "wetness"--so it doesn't have to be automatically wiping a few drops?

Thank-you!

Reynaldo
Old 05-04-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry but there is no way to adjust the speed of the wipers in this mode. They automatically run when anything crosses the area infront of the sensor. The speed is also based on you driving the car. When it starts raining you will not have the need to adjust the speed.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM

'03-ML350 'inspiration'
Originally Posted by kenstudios
Sorry but there is no way to adjust the speed of the wipers in this mode. They automatically run when anything crosses the area infront of the sensor. The speed is also based on you driving the car. When it starts raining you will not have the need to adjust the speed.
Thank-you for the reply, kenstudios!
Supposedly--mine does not have the sensor...w/ intermittent, I find it a bit annoying--regardless the speed--that sometimes(few drops) it's just rubber and the glass...then sometimes it's just not fast enough.

The other thing; there's no other way of knowing whether I have rain sensor or not--by looking?....I would have to test it manually(AR.Shah)?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:15 PM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Hi
Im not sure how it looks on the new M-class as Im still waiting for mine. On the W211 and W210 its a small area just behind the rearview mirror (from outside). I seems like some sort of silicone gel when you take a closer look (see picture below)

Best regards
Shah
Attached Thumbnails Rain Sensor-dsc011501.jpg  
Old 05-06-2006, 06:26 AM

S63 COUPE M157
Thank you for everything guys! I will try to take a picture of my "rain sensor" if there is one....
Old 05-08-2006, 09:53 AM

'03-ML350 'inspiration'
Hi
Im not sure how it looks on the new M-class as Im still waiting for mine. On the W211 and W210 its a small area just behind the rearview mirror (from outside). I seems like some sort of silicone gel when you take a closer look (see picture below)

Best regards
Shah
...Hhmmm....I'll have to chk for it, on my ML
Thank-you, Shah!