M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Cupholders? Who needs 'em?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2025 E450 4Matic
Cupholders? Who needs 'em?

We've owned a 2007 M Class for a month now, and only have 2 real disappointments. First is quality of materials; the SUV's are no where near the quality of Mercedes automobiles. I guess I expected too much. Secondly, is the lack of storage. To move the shifter to the stalk just to replace it with 2 cupholders is just plain silly. We don't drink and drive. Are there any aftermarket parts that could replace the cupholders with more storage? I attached a picture of MB's intial ads for the 2006 ML, which shows nice wood covered storage bins in the place of the cupholders. Are these being made? By anyone? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cupholders?  Who needs 'em?-mclasscover.jpg  
Old 01-23-2007, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,190 Likes on 857 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Console bins

Originally Posted by tomd
We've owned a 2007 M Class for a month now, and only have 2 real disappointments. First is quality of materials; the SUV's are no where near the quality of Mercedes automobiles. I guess I expected too much. Secondly, is the lack of storage. To move the shifter to the stalk just to replace it with 2 cupholders is just plain silly. We don't drink and drive. Are there any aftermarket parts that could replace the cupholders with more storage? I attached a picture of MB's intial ads for the 2006 ML, which shows nice wood covered storage bins in the place of the cupholders. Are these being made? By anyone? Thanks
The alternate console design you mention and show is the euro one. You should be able to order the parts from your dealer if you can get the numbers. Also, Brabus makes some very nice upholstered door panels (to match your upholstery) that really upgrade the feel of the interior--expensive, $1,495/4.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
that is pricey but they do look nice. I wonder how much the GL door panels cost and if they are a direct fit? The materials seem nicer on it.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kar don
that is pricey but they do look nice. I wonder how much the GL door panels cost and if they are a direct fit? The materials seem nicer on it.

I totally agree and was thinking the same! I also noticed the doorpanels in the ML63AMG is a lot nicer than stock panels! Anybody know if these doorpanels are the same as the stock door panels in GL-class? And of course the price of these? The door panels are the only thing I dont like about my car so far!!!

Thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 08:13 PM

'16 BMW X5 Xdrive 35i M Sport
cupholders

i happen to disagree, i think the cupholders are excellent, really well-designed. they hold cups of all different shapes and sizes, and i use them constantly, for water or coffee. they also happen to make excellent cell phone holders - my blackberry pearl fits right in between the prongs of the cupholder.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 AM

MBs
Cupholders

Made by Fischer and received the "Best cupholder in America award"... I know that the Mercedes designers are quite happy with this design to "accomodate American taste". I would not change them...

http://www.fischer-automotive-system...wards-2006.pdf

The European MLs have a different setup, as shown on the first picture.
A good MB dealer parts department should be able to find the Euro parts be able to order them.