M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Special Order ML350, how to nego. discount?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Special Order ML350, how to nego. discount?

(Also posted in General Mercedes Discussion also - please reply in only one of the two threads)

I'm about to special order a ML350. I'm in SoCal and lucky enough to be within 20 mins of 5 dealerships (Newport, Laguna Niguel, Buena Park, Anaheim, Long Beach).

I've been to one dealer already, and am going to schedule to go to another next week.

After my first visit, basically, they wanted a $2k refundable deposit, which of course is no problem but the final price would only be available upon delivery because if it takes 2 months to get the car, the price could change. Great story on the part of the salesman, but I'm obviously not going to wait 2 months to find out he wants something ridiculous and walk away.

So this leaves me with two questions:

1) Am I supposed to just print out the Edmunds.com invoice prices for the car + add-on's and negoatiate a price above the dealer's invoice (whatever that might be in 2-3 months?) prior to delivery?
2) Should I go leave a $2k deposit at all 5 dealers (not a problem either since its refundable) and let them fight it out when all 5 cars show up? Is that even allowed or do I need to get 5 orders put in under 5 different names?
3) My dealer wants to do some of the add-on's like the iPod integration at the dealership for 25% above the MBUSA site. I feel that he could put in the codes for all the items and get them factory installed but could earn more if he doesn't do it.

This is my first Mercedes, so any advice would be appreciated. Its a ML350 fully loaded (comes out to $70k out the door, the 350's MSRP is $43k).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I have purchased many MB's. I have never been asked for any thing more than a 500 dollar deposit with my order and I had the firm negotiated price at the time of the order. In some cases I ordered over the phone from out of town and they waited till I returned for my deposit. Don't make any commitment with out a firm price in writing and minimize your deposit. As for negotiating, if you can't or do not know how to do it you will be their best friend. I can't believe you do not know how to do this. Haven't you made any large ticket purchases?? One bit of advice, be very friendly and matter of fact, no arguing or posturing.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I'm younger than your average MB buyer, so lets just say in my entire life, this is only my second car purchase and the last one I bought off the lot and got it $500 below invoice (Toyota). I've bought and sold airplanes and just sold my plane worth a new F430. I always get a great deal on my planes and always sell them for more than I bought them, so I must be doing something right? I own my business, and I think I'm a damn good negotiator. But if there is no price on the table, what the hell am I supposed to negotiate with??

This is the SECOND time I'm run into this, and last time it was on a SL55 w/ 030 PP and I was too damn busy with work and just used to money to buy another plane and gave up on another car.

This time I need a car. They're getting pissed w/ me driving my planes on the freeway

Originally Posted by sosh
I have purchased many MB's. I have never been asked for any thing more than a 500 dollar deposit with my order and I had the firm negotiated price at the time of the order. In some cases I ordered over the phone from out of town and they waited till I returned for my deposit. Don't make any commitment with out a firm price in writing and minimize your deposit. As for negotiating, if you can't or do not know how to do it you will be their best friend. I can't believe you do not know how to do this. Haven't you made any large ticket purchases?? One bit of advice, be very friendly and matter of fact, no arguing or posturing.

Last edited by Vik888; 02-21-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I have made my living my whole life from selling and buying aircraft plus I am a retired Airline pilot. I have owned several companies that had dealerships for turbine corporate aircraft and pre owned turbine aircraft. Where were you when I was selling them, could have had a real home run!!
Seriously though, compute the dealers cost which is about 10 percent off of MSRP 3 percent of which is a hold back and you will not in most cases be able to touch it. Start about 7 percent off of MSRP and be willing to accept 5% off of MSRP. Do not pay any more for dealer installed items than the factory price less the discount. The discount is the same on options as on the car. I find it hard to believe that an ML350 would have an MSRP of what you have said even with everything on it. My 06 ML500 a year ago with every option except Keyless go and Parktronic had a list of 62000. Good luck!! Oh, do not believe all the price info you read about here!! You could not have had much of an aircraft for what you said that you got for it. SEL??