M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

question about tail-gate height on ML 500 2007

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about tail-gate height on ML 500 2007

I recently purchased a 2007 ML 500 with electric tail gate. It has 2 settings (via the instrument panel setup screens) for the adjustment of the tail gate height. In order to prevent the tail-gate from hitting my garage ceiling, I have used the lower of the two settings which limits the tail-gate height to about 50% of the potential height. Unfortunately, this setting is extremely inconvienent when the car is not in the garage.

My question is whether it is possible when the car is not in the garage, to manually or electrically push the tail-gate to its full height position, without going to the trouble of changing the height setting via the instrument panel.

Even if it is possible to manually push the tail gate to a higher position, I am concerned that doing so may break the mechanism and/or motor and/or change the adjustment setting.

thanks for any help

Jeff
Old 08-07-2007, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by sonyguy1
I recently purchased a 2007 ML 500 with electric tail gate. It has 2 settings (via the instrument panel setup screens) for the adjustment of the tail gate height. In order to prevent the tail-gate from hitting my garage ceiling, I have used the lower of the two settings which limits the tail-gate height to about 50% of the potential height. Unfortunately, this setting is extremely inconvienent when the car is not in the garage.

My question is whether it is possible when the car is not in the garage, to manually or electrically push the tail-gate to its full height position, without going to the trouble of changing the height setting via the instrument panel.

Even if it is possible to manually push the tail gate to a higher position, I am concerned that doing so may break the mechanism and/or motor and/or change the adjustment setting.

thanks for any help

Jeff
Do not believe its possible to do what you want. DO NOT manually try to force the tailgate up to the higher position