M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

iPod Integration Kit Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML 350
iPod Integration Kit Question

I recently purchased a 2008 ML 350 which should arrive any day now. I'm trading in a 2005 CLK 320 with an iPod Integration Kit installed by MB Service. Does anyone know if it is possible, and safe, for me to try to uninstall the unit and if it is easy to install in the new ML? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2007, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Originally Posted by jgsnca
I recently purchased a 2008 ML 350 which should arrive any day now. I'm trading in a 2005 CLK 320 with an iPod Integration Kit installed by MB Service. Does anyone know if it is possible, and safe, for me to try to uninstall the unit and if it is easy to install in the new ML? Thanks!
Yes, its pretty easy once you have worked out how to disassemble the CLK

Its basically a wiring harness inserted between the head unit and the car;s wiring, that goes to a control unit, that has a wire to the IPOD.

The thing you have to be careful with is moving the fibre optic connector from the IPOD head unit connector back to the car's original head unit connector when removing the loom.

In about a week i'll publish a document on www.mercupgrades.com how to install IPOD kit in a ML.

If you look in my COMAND retrofit document there, and look at how the old comand went in the pre-facelift, theres some examples of how to remove all the panelling from below the head unit. (follow the link to someone elses site in that doc). The control panel above COMAND just pulls out (open the little tray next to it, and hook finger round the side of the control panel and pull).

If you look in my COMAND-APS retrofit document for A class, theres pictures of the connector and fibre (as it describes how to install CD changer). There may be pictures also in my ML CD changer retrofit document.

I hope that distributed information helps you !

Richard