M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Question regarding Service A.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2007 | 10:01 AM
CAA

2006 ML350
Question regarding Service A.

Hello MBWORLD - this is my first post and I'm glad to have found a forum that seems to have a lot of good info. I searched for this before posting but didn't really find a clear cut response so I was hoping someone might have some insight.

I leased an ML350 for my wife in July of 2007 and about three months ago the indicator came on for Service A due. I called the dealership and explained that the car only had 7000 miles on it and they said it doesn't need to come in, just swing by if you want us to reset the indicator.

My question is, am I required to have the dealer perform the Service A? My best friend owns a high end independent shop and from the looks of what is performed (which I'll attach below), $240 is a lot for an oil change and stuff I can check myself. Her car still only has 10,000 miles on it. Any thoughts / advice appreciated. The ad the dealer emailed me is below:

Maintenance Service (A)
Service includes visual check of engine drive belts and steering mechanical components, check brake pad and rotor thickness, inspect tires for condition and damage, correct tire inflation pressure. Perform function check for horn and interior and exterior lighting. Check seatbelts, window and wiper operation. Check battery condition with MCR 717 test equipment. Change oil and filter using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. Reset FSS counter, check and correct fluid levels, lubricate door and sunroof seals, hinges and safety catches. We will provide a Complimentary Car Wash and Rental Vehicle for the day.

Only $239.95!*
Our competitors charge $295 to $380
Old 11-02-2007 | 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The price you received is very good. The difference in price from an independent will not be significant assuming he performs all of the noted items including scanning the computer for faults with the Star system. Remember also should a fault be found the indy can't repair it under warranty so that means another trip to the dealers. In addition the indy usually does not have access to the most current TSB's, etc. that should be complied with at no charge by the dealer. I am a proponent of dealer servicing assuming that your dealer is a good one. They have all the tools and equipment to properly diagnose and repair your vehicle that MB requires. Most indys do not. Do not let an indy tell you that he has similar equipment to the dealer....not so. There are reasons that MB specifies specific equipment for the dealers. Don't be cheap about maintaining your vehicle, it will catch up to you later. And, yes, if your lease is with MB Financial they do require that all services be done.
Old 11-02-2007 | 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
That's strange, I just got the ML last week and was told my first 2 services will be free, at the time I thought it was MB running some kind of promotion, guess it must be the dealer doing it.
Old 11-02-2007 | 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blazinginder
That's strange, I just got the ML last week and was told my first 2 services will be free, at the time I thought it was MB running some kind of promotion, guess it must be the dealer doing it.
When you say the first 2 services do you mean the A and the B service or the post delivery inspection and the A service?? If nothing has changed since 06, the post delivery service is on MB. If they are giving you an A or a B service I believe its on the dealership.
Old 11-02-2007 | 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Yes, it's service A and B I believe
Old 11-02-2007 | 01:07 PM
CAA

2006 ML350
Thanks for the responses. My dealership gives the first check up free (3000 miles or so) but all following services are on my dime. Looks like you have a generous dealer BlazingRider.
Old 11-02-2007 | 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by blazinginder
Yes, it's service A and B I believe
I suspect it's the 3500-mile lookover and your first tire rotation instead.
Old 11-02-2007 | 04:43 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by CAA
Hello MBWORLD - this is my first post and I'm glad to have found a forum that seems to have a lot of good info. I searched for this before posting but didn't really find a clear cut response so I was hoping someone might have some insight.

I leased an ML350 for my wife in July of 2007 and about three months ago the indicator came on for Service A due. I called the dealership and explained that the car only had 7000 miles on it and they said it doesn't need to come in, just swing by if you want us to reset the indicator.

My question is, am I required to have the dealer perform the Service A? My best friend owns a high end independent shop and from the looks of what is performed (which I'll attach below), $240 is a lot for an oil change and stuff I can check myself. Her car still only has 10,000 miles on it. Any thoughts / advice appreciated. The ad the dealer emailed me is below:

Maintenance Service (A)
Service includes visual check of engine drive belts and steering mechanical components, check brake pad and rotor thickness, inspect tires for condition and damage, correct tire inflation pressure. Perform function check for horn and interior and exterior lighting. Check seatbelts, window and wiper operation. Check battery condition with MCR 717 test equipment. Change oil and filter using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. Reset FSS counter, check and correct fluid levels, lubricate door and sunroof seals, hinges and safety catches. We will provide a Complimentary Car Wash and Rental Vehicle for the day.

Only $239.95!*
Our competitors charge $295 to $380
glorified oil change. if you want to pay that go ahead. not worth it.
Old 11-03-2007 | 08:03 PM

2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Yes I beleive Ichris is right. The first two services are your get aquainted visit anytime befor 3500 miles where you get to ask questions and the first tire rotation anytime before 6500 miles. The first real maintenance is at 13000 which you will get charged for.
Old 11-03-2007 | 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by paulybagadonuts
Yes I beleive Ichris is right. The first two services are your get aquainted visit anytime befor 3500 miles where you get to ask questions and the first tire rotation anytime before 6500 miles. The first real maintenance is at 13000 which you will get charged for.
There is only one "get acquanted" visit at no charge. There is also the free tire rotation which is usually combined with the get acquainted/post delivery inspection but my dealer allowed me to wait for the rotation untill the A service and that was on both my current ML and my current E Class.
Old 02-01-2009 | 01:15 PM

2008 Ml 350, 2000 Ml 430
If you skip service A from the dealer does it void warranty or anything?
because i belive service A is a very simple task
Old 02-01-2009 | 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MMundrean
If you skip service A from the dealer does it void warranty or anything?
because i belive service A is a very simple task
It could have a bearing on your warranty or you may be asked to produce evidence that this service with all its inspections and checks have been done somewhere. As for it being a simple service yes it is but it is preventative maintenence. Do you or the person you may take it to have access to all of the Tech info?? Do they have the STAR system to scan the computer?? Do they know what to look for or what actually to inspect?? Anyone can have a look but do they actually know if someting needs attention and without the STAR system they will not have access to masny areas of the computer even if they have a cheapy code reader as only the basics are shown on generic code readers. You spent lots of your money for this vehicle and now you are cheaping out?? Do not understand this!!