M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Maintenance costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Maintenance costs

How much do you pay for Maintenance cost per year for your ML??
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2007, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The cost will escalate as the car ages and accrues miles. Your cost per year depends on how many miles per year you drive and thus how many inspections per year you must do. The cost per mile for say the first 4 years of ownership should be in the area of 4 cents and that includes the A and B services being done when called for. Thats pretty economical.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:41 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by sosh
The cost will escalate as the car ages and accrues miles. Your cost per year depends on how many miles per year you drive and thus how many inspections per year you must do. The cost per mile for say the first 4 years of ownership should be in the area of 4 cents and that includes the A and B services being done when called for. Thats pretty economical.
I'm probably going to lease for 3 years, 12K mi/yr. Do you have to choose a plan (A or B)? Can you just do the oil changes and tire rotations? I've lease multiple different brands before, including BMW (free maintenance), but MB seems to be different for maintenance.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stockmd
I'm probably going to lease for 3 years, 12K mi/yr. Do you have to choose a plan (A or B)? Can you just do the oil changes and tire rotations? I've lease multiple different brands before, including BMW (free maintenance), but MB seems to be different for maintenance.
There is really no choice with factory reccommended maint programs. You will have 2 inspections which alternate, inspection A and then an inspection B. As the car ages and accrues miles there are more items to check and inspect tossed into each inspection. A is due at 13000 miles or 1 year then a B is due at 26000 miles or a year later. You do the inspection at which ever comes first, miles or calender. The A is the lightest and the B is more intensive and more expensive. The car will tell you what is due in addition to the base inspection and will tell you when the base inspection is due. If you are leasing from MBCC they require that these inspections be done or they will charge you when you turn in the car. If they are not done by an MB dealer you must be prepared to provide a receipt as proof that they have been done with each called for item specified.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:59 PM

BMW
Thank you for the reply. After researching the board, I guess most people pay as little as $100 for A and as much as $900 for B!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
B service on a newer MB shouldn't cost more than 450 bucks at the dealership.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for the reply. After researching the board, I guess most people pay as little as $100 for A and as much as $900 for B!
You are a bit off on the pricing which will vary a bit from dealer to dealer. I paid on my 06 ML500 about 220 for the A service and have not yet had a B. The most recent B service I had was on my 05E Class and it was 410.00, the ML should be similar. I do not think you will see 900 bucks on a B till the car has lots of miles on it. I am a strong proponent of Dealer servicing as they have the latest info from MB as to bulletins, TSB's etc. They also have the Star diagnostic system which is far superior to the equipment that is used by most Indies.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:15 AM

2007 ML 500
over priced oil change.

most of the stuff they say they will do, warranty will take care of should there be an issue in your 4/50000 period.

and almost all the visual things they check for, you can do yourself.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vinceching
over priced oil change.

most of the stuff they say they will do, warranty will take care of should there be an issue in your 4/50000 period.

and almost all the visual things they check for, you can do yourself.
I strongly disagree. In order to properly inspect the car per the MB requirements you must know what you are looking at and you must have the correct equipment. Its impossible to inspect what is called for without a lift and without the STAR system. In addition it should be checked for any outstanding bulletins, etc. Its lots more than anoil change and doing it yourself will not satisfy MBCC;s maint requiremnent on the lease. But, yes warranty should take care of any of the faults found.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:52 PM

2007 ML 500
I strongly disagree. In order to properly inspect the car per the MB requirements you must know what you are looking at and you must have the correct equipment. Its impossible to inspect what is called for without a lift and without the STAR system. In addition it should be checked for any outstanding bulletins, etc. Its lots more than anoil change and doing it yourself will not satisfy MBCC;s maint requiremnent on the lease. But, yes warranty should take care of any of the faults found.
thats fine that you disagree, but don't come trying to explain that they are doing so much more than just an oil change and visual inspections.

the main tools you need for service a and b are your 2 eyes. topping off fluids if need is done by your eyes, checking gap tolerances to make sure your doors aren't sagging or rubbing is done by your eyes. and the basic oil change.

and you do not really need a lift to do this. you could use basic jacks and jack stands to do your oil change. and as for the star system, you can always ask them to check for updates or check for codes during your warranty period.

and lastly, mbenz or any other manufactuer lease does not require you to do maintaince through them with services a,b,c, and d. they require you to take care of basic maintanence like oil changes and topping off fluids to keep the car running in good condition which a person leasing the car can do by either dealer, independent shop, or by themselves.

but if you feel the need to pay the stealership this amount, go right ahead... its not my money you are wasting.

btw, i get my oil changes done at a mercedes independent shop. i buy my mobil 1 syn oil myself $3.99 / quart on sale , and the shop charges me $35 for the labor, waste fee, and does a courtesy visual inspection
Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again I disagree. How are you able to inspect the vehicle underside (suspension, exhaust, diffs, etc) without a lift. Second read your lease completely, MBCC requires that all factory maint called for has been done not by a dealer specically but done and documented. On my 02 E Class I was way out of town and it was due so I took it to a non MB dealer suggested by the folks I was visiting to do a B service. Shortly after I turned in the vehicle I received notice from MBCC that this B service had not been recorded on the car records and was asked for proof that all items were complied or a charge would be made.
Part of the A and B service is a readout of faults and perameters with the Star system. How can this important item be complied with if no computer read out has been done. You obviously have too much time on your hands or do not value your own time with all the running around that you do to save a few nickles by buying your own oil taking it to 2 shops to accomplish most likely in a half assed manner to accomplish what can be done in one place that picks up and delivers my car with a free MB loaner in maybe a day and no effort on my part other than a phone call. The days of the shade tree mechanics are about over. Perhaps you should readjust your thinking. These sevices are PREVENTATIVE maint. Do you understand what the word "preventative" means?? How would you like to climb aboard an aircraft sit down and learn that the last airframe/engine inspection had been done by unlicenced, un authorized people and they purchased the oil at K Mart??
Old 12-24-2007, 12:33 AM

BMW
So as long as an independent service company performs A or B and meets all the criteria set by MB, we should be safe when we return the lease...correct? I don't think I'll be doing it myself. No need to learn all the details if I only need to do it once (it is a lease after all).
Old 12-24-2007, 02:08 AM

2007 ML 500
Again I disagree. How are you able to inspect the vehicle underside (suspension, exhaust, diffs, etc) without a lift.

*** how are you able to inspect? good lord... have you ever worked on a car before? because based on what you stated above, i'm gonna have to say no. a lift will make your life easier when looking for things under the car and doing work. what you listed above can either inspected or done with a floor jacks, and jackstands. diy'ers do all what you listed all the time in their own garages. i have done my own coilover install, full exhaust with downpipe all in my garage. i haven't done a diff myself, but my friends have and it is possible. ***

Second read your lease completely, MBCC requires that all factory maint called for has been done not by a dealer specically but done and documented.

*** scan a pdf copy of the page in the lease.... and while your at it, go ahead and scan a copy of what service a and b include. i've lease audi's, mercedes, and land rovers, and if there was something like that.. they really don't care. they will only care if at the time of returning the vehicle there are problems relating to not having ongoing preventive maintenace... the most common is oil sludge the only time i've seen dealerships get picky is when they don't like the person who is returning the car... which at this point doesn't seem far fetched***

On my 02 E Class I was way out of town and it was due so I took it to a non MB dealer suggested by the folks I was visiting to do a B service. Shortly after I turned in the vehicle I received notice from MBCC that this B service had not been recorded on the car records and was asked for proof that all items were complied or a charge would be made.
Part of the A and B service is a readout of faults and perameters with the Star system. How can this important item be complied with if no computer read out has been done.

*** i really doubt you got a letter in the mail. ***

You obviously have too much time on your hands or do not value your own time with all the running around that you do to save a few nickles by buying your own oil taking it to 2 shops to accomplish most likely in a half assed manner to accomplish what can be done in one place that picks up and delivers my car with a free MB loaner in maybe a day and no effort on my part other than a phone call.

*** i don't understand the correlation in the statement above with me being lazy by buying my own oil. are you basing that off your own personal time spent buying oil? if so, how long does it take you to buy oil? because when i buy oil, it takes me 15 mins total to go to the store, pick up oil, and drive back home. and i don't know where you get the "taking it to 2 shops" to get the work done. i take it to one (1) indy mercedes shop to get the work done. i buy my own oil because i like to use syn, and most shops don't really stock syn oil. if you are counting the auto store as a shop, then thats just stupid. the dealership operates in the same way as the auto store.. they just have their parts dept on location w/ the dealer.

it is your choice if you want to do everything at the dealer. and i don't think its a bonus that you are getting a free mb loaner when your car is in for service. you are paying for that loaner with the profits the dealer is making off their overpriced oil change. do you really think the dealer would give you a loaner if they weren't making enough to cover the costs? btw, what are they charging these days? 400-500 for the service? ***

The days of the shade tree mechanics are about over. Perhaps you should readjust your thinking. These sevices are PREVENTATIVE maint. Do you understand what the word "preventative" means??

*** wtf?! point out and quote my reply in which you say i don't know what preventitive maintaence is. because at this point, i think you are just stupid and forgot how to read and comprehend. i posted that the op could get the same services done for less. not once did i tell him, he shouldn't even do the service. get your facts straight you donkey***

How would you like to climb aboard an aircraft sit down and learn that the last airframe/engine inspection had been done by unlicenced, un authorized people and they purchased the oil at K Mart??
*** why do you always have to bring up examples/references to airplanes? if you are going to give me an example, at least make the attempt to have it be comparable. you are trying to compare apples and oranges since the level of skill needed for maintanence work on an automobile is much less than an aircraft. and you have just confirmed something to me... you have been brainwashed in thinking the dealer is the only people who can understand and fix mercedes.

if you get value out of paying $400-500, by all means continue to do so. i dont find value in that when i have a shop who can do the same work for $100.

i find value in that because, i can use that 300-400 on better things that going straight to the stealership's pockets.***
Old 12-24-2007, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So as long as an independent service company performs A or B and meets all the criteria set by MB, we should be safe when we return the lease...correct? I don't think I'll be doing it myself. No need to learn all the details if I only need to do it once (it is a lease after all).
You are correct but be certain to get a detailed invoice. Don't know the length of your lease but services are dur once a year or 13000 miles which ever comes first
Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, I have not been brainwashed but have learned from experience. As for comparing to aircraft both are complex mechanical/electronic pieces of equipment and require trained, up to date mechanics to perform maintenence. My dealer is excellent and fairly priced. Perhaps yours is not. However you certainly should do as you please and money seems to be a real issue with you so you are welcome to cheap out if you so desire. There are lots more than money thats important to me, my time, convience and quality work to name a few. Your standards appear to be lower and you do not seem to be concerned about the value of your time nor the inconvience your method causes nor are you concerned about the quality of the maint you get. Hope someone you know does not purchase your car when and if you ever trade it.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:55 PM

2007 ML 500
No, I have not been brainwashed but have learned from experience. As for comparing to aircraft both are complex mechanical/electronic pieces of equipment and require trained, up to date mechanics to perform maintenence.

*** no, again they are not the same things... you are still comparing apples to oranges. if you are still bent on making the comparison... why didn't you make the comparision between a car and a nasa space shuttle? same concept of your's as the shuttle is an aircraft. cars and airplanes are in different leagues/classes. you do not need to be trained with the latest and greatest to do visual inspections, and an oil change. again, if you believe all that, your dealership has done a number on you. ***

My dealer is excellent and fairly priced. Perhaps yours is not.

*** give me the name of your dealership and a number. i will call them and ask how much service a and b cost. then i will call the dealerships near me... autobahn in belmont, symthe in san jose, park ave in palo alto, and beshoff in san jose. only then will you see most mb dealers charge the same, so don't think you are getting a great deal. you are not. you are being overcharged. ***

However you certainly should do as you please and money seems to be a real issue with you so you are welcome to cheap out if you so desire.

*** again, you are proving just how stupid you are with the statement above. being cheap would be not doing the oil change at all stupid. if your concept of cheap is saving money... then by all means, enjoy being stupid with your money. ***

There are lots more than money thats important to me, my time, convience and quality work to name a few. Your standards appear to be lower and you do not seem to be concerned about the value of your time nor the inconvience your method causes nor are you concerned about the quality of the maint you get. Hope someone you know does not purchase your car when and if you ever trade it.
*** again, i have to point out how much of an idiot you are. my standards are lowered because i went to an indy shop to have the same work performed a dealership would at a lower/better value? how did i lower my standards? by not allowing myself to get bent over at the dealership and having them rape me? i will venture out and say, that if you looked at the total time spent between you and me, you'd realize that i can have all my work done in 1 hour max. the dealer takes almost all day because it is a low prioproity job that all newbie techs work on. and this is usually where the customer doesn't realize that the oil drain plug gets over torqued and striped because of these newbies. i bet you didn't know that right? because in your mind... its the dealer, they are charging me an arm and a leg... they must have their best tech, or shop foreman doing the work. idiot.

so if anything, the inconvience on this one is for you to leave the car for a day.

and making a stupid and blank statement saying you'd feel sorry for who ever purchases my car makes again and its no surprise to me...no sense. why would they? all warranty work was performed by the dealer, and maintenance (oil changes) have been done. so whats the issue?

in closing, i have to say you are not doing a good job at supporting your arguments, and continue to not read what i posted, and continue to give me stupid examples. i have disproved just about everything you posted like the ... you can't work on the if you don't have a lift crap.

you also have not provided me with anything that proves what the dealer charges for this "oil change" is worth it.

btw, as stated in in different post... i don't understand why when a person posts about saving money... idiots like you jump on them saying they don't have any money. i make $$$ through hardwork and understand the value of money as i didn't always have it. so i just choose to not waste it on worthless things. but i guess for spoon fed, trust fund babys like you, they don't understand.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
How much do you pay for Maintenance cost per year for your ML??
Thanks!
If you purchased this car new, you PAID FOR the warranty.

This is the same thing as paying for maintenance in advance--whether you need it or not.

It's a pretty difficult question to answer, that is.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:33 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by lkchris
If you purchased this car new, you PAID FOR the warranty.

This is the same thing as paying for maintenance in advance--whether you need it or not.

It's a pretty difficult question to answer, that is.
what are you talking about? we are talking about scheduled maintenace which is not included. the warranty will only cover defects found during the warranty period.

why would it be a difficult question to answer?
Old 12-24-2007, 08:37 PM

....Merry Christmas everyone........