M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Transmission jolt when stopped. Cold vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Transmission jolt when stopped. Cold vehicle

Anyone with a ML have this? After searching the Forum, I do see this issue with the 7G Tronic, but with other models.
After a cold start, when I come to a complete stop, about a second later, there is a thump, just like being rear ended. Hard enough to get your attention. And also 2 to 3 upshift will slip. This will happen at every complete stop for about 5 minutes, then goes away. I have 20,000 miles on the truck, and owned new for over a year. Never did this last winter, or most of this winter. Come to think of it it started the day after I got it back from a B service.(Hmm???) Dealer did tranny software upgrade, but not cured. Back at dealer again and loaner in driveway again. First tranny issue ever. Always shifted to perfection for me. Didn't expect this with a Mercedes. Thought they would have worked this out by now. Any ML owners or techs care to share? Please advise what fixed it so I can see if I dealer is on the right track.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' ML350
it can be cured by reprogramming the tranny, if not, star diagnosis will tell the technician to have the valve body replaced with the updated version. tranny reprogramming takes less than half an hour.

i had my valvebody replaced and reprogrammed, so far, it shifts super smooth now...no more jerks.

btw, there is also a "circlip for replacement" issue related to tranny jerks.....
Old 02-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Got it back. Problem seems to be cured with a reprogram of the adaptations and a Valve body. Now it shifts like new!!! Glad I had the forum to be up to speed with what the dealer was telling me. As someone said, Knowing is half the battle!!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLK 2010
I had same problem and got my valve body replaced last spring (and whole bunch of other problems). It was fine until the winter started and transmission would be hard with downshifting. It only occurs if the car is not warmed up. If I warm it for 5 minutes, it would be fine. Mercedes mercedes!