M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

comand retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320CDI
comand retrofit

Hi everyone
Iam trying to retrofit to my european Ml320cdi the comand aps.I have the plain radio-cd system audio 20.Just had one deliver including software and antena which I bought from ebay after searching for the right part numbers,and retrofitting instructions found in the site www.merupgrades.com(they are great!)
I would like to know if in the packages they offer in ebay unit/software/antena is all you need to complete the job.Read in the above site about a retrofit antena cable adapter(A211 820 00 88 or B678 235 33) needed to complete the job.Why isn't that in the package,do we buy that separately?
Thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 AM

ML320CDI
done it!!

It took me 20 minutes to fit the comand APS and reassemble,using the instructions found in mercupgrades.com.Very easy job. Only the fitting of the antenna, which is provided in most packages found in ebay, differs slightly from instructions found there.Antena comes in one piece,and must be fitted on the blue connection behind the comand and the other end with the magnet as far deep as your hand can reach towards the glass with the top(black bit) facing the sky and the magnet underneeth.Then had to take it to the dealer to code the unit (star diagnosis),and open the fibre optic bus.This can be done nowdays online on the spot and don't have to wait few days(LIKE MERUPGRADES SAY)to update the FDOK system at Mercedes in Germany.Special attention if you are planning to connect more auxiliary equipment to the unit,ie tv tuner,cd changer etc,like i did, tell them to activate all fibre optic buses.To be sure that this is done tell them to fit one of their cd changers on just to be sure that are open.Once this is done your system can acquire satellite connection.If not try relocating the antena,like i did.Took the unit out again(5 minutes this time honest!!)and took the antena while been fitted on the unit outside from the window on the roof,and went for a drive,once i had managed to find some satellites i put it back in a possition that I did not loose the satallites.
I will send photos of the whole project as i had fitted a tv tuner and dvd player,wich can be use while driving,sound system upgrade, screans for backseats etc.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 AM

07 ML 320CDI
Hi, could you post part number please and the site where you purchased the unit - I'm interested in doing the same.

thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 PM

ML350 2005
I have a friend just got a ML320 from the states i gave him a european command dvd APS and it does not work

any ideas how he can do the change from the US command to the European one ? cost prices

mporeis na to kaneis esy ?

thanks

danos
Old 05-18-2008, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hi

a) In UK we still have to wait a few days for FDOK updates, i'll update the text to be clearer next time I edit that document, also to note that there is a useful shelf behind the cluster that you can stick the antenna on
b) If your EU comand doesnt work in US car, its probably just coding the EU unit that needs to be done. Especially if it just shows the Star logo and turns of (its been coded for stuff on the fibre optic ring, but the car doesnt have a fibre optic ring). I put a EU unit in a US car that had been brought here a couple of weeks ago, also enabled the cluster for MPH/KMH switching, UK Gallon size, etc etc

Cheers

Richard (mercupgrades.com)

BTW, see my new eBay multi language searching utility for german car car parts, www.search4carparts.com - hope its useful
Old 06-06-2008, 03:01 PM

ML 350 US
Hi Richard

As you may recollect, I used to have a C230 sportscoupe, but now I am waiting for my US 2006 ML350 which has navi, BT SAP crandle, Harman kardon and Cd changer installed.
Since you are one of the most experienced person in this filed,please answer my questions:
1) Is it affirmative that my navi wont run European disc? What can I do in order to run those maps?
2) Is there any way I can change the way the radio scans for radio stations (in every freequency,one by one and not only the odd numbers)
3) If I have to change the comand unit (I found some on the ebay for around 800 euros) will I still be able to use the alpine Cd changer, the harman Kardon and the bluetooth cradle (along with the wiring)?
4) From the famous site, I found some info about installing a comand unit. I guess that it will be easier to install since I dont have to install all the other stuff except for the main unit?
Oh and another thing...
Since you are experience in that, is it easy to change the cluster in kilometres? Can we do it through a normal dealer star diagnosis here i Greece? Is it a thorough update with the need of special software discs? Finally, I am sure that in USA the car runs with normal 93 or something like that octane, whereas in Europe it runs with super unleaded. This is something that will change with the update??

Many question for a car I am waiting like crazy from the USA!
I am sure you can give me a helping hand. Thank you in advance Richard!
Regards...

Zisis

Last edited by zvrikos; 06-06-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
You need to get an European COMAND - it will just plug directly in. It will probably need coding to know about the CD, phone etc, but it should all just work then.
I dont know how the HK works on your car, it may contain the tuner (it does on E class) if so, it will be settable for European frequencies (its done in the AGW control unit adaptations menu on Star)

Look on my mercupgrades.com site at the iPod retrofit document as it tells you how to remove the ML head unit, really quick and easy,

ML clusters are SCN coded, so a dealer will have to get MB to update the central database (whatever the new version of FDOK is called) then SCN code the cluster. - I dont know exactly how they get FDOK updated.

Dont really know about the fuel, I think the engine management system just compensates for it

Enjoy the car !!

R

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2008, 02:39 AM

ML 350 US
Dear Richard!

Thank you VEY much for your interest and reply.

In my understanding, it is not likely that the telephone wiring with the SAP module will work in Europe. Is it correct? Any chance it might work if I install the European navi unit???

Regards

Last edited by zvrikos; 06-11-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:19 AM

ML 350 US
Just to get it in the "recent" posts, if there is anyone that could reply...

Zisis