M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2006 ml350 is a lemon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e-350 and 2006 ml350
2006 ml350 is a lemon

in december 2006, my wide and I purchased our new ml350. the first time we washed it, the gas door fell off. we also noted the tail gate would not suck down when set on the latch. the dealer replaced the tail gate motor, fixed the gas door, and took out 2 door dings that were present at purchase, and repaired the chrome that peeled off the lf wheel after the first week of ownership. all was ok for about 7k miles, then the front end began squeaking, dealer replaced the lower control arm bushings. we also have factory nav installed for $2k. not long after that, sunroof area developed a rattle over bumps, tailgate wouldn't close, and rattle from the rear end area started.
dealer replaced the tail gate motor again, added foam to the rear bumper and headliner. well, not long after that, sunroof noise came back, moldings on the doors discolored, rear wiper would stop at the half way point on the glass. dealership fixed and less than 30 day's later, sunroof noise back and roof would not express close. dealer again made repairs, 3 months later, hatch motor inop again, sunroof noisy and suspension squeaking again. dealer made some repairs,(now a total of 4 tail gate motors and 3 tries at the sunroof) less than 1 week later, rear hatch motor failed, brake lights stopped working, and sunroof noisy again when closing doors and over bumps,. i have been to both dealers in my area, and the just can't fix this car and keep it fixed. now we have new problems. this is getting old!
this is the 4th mb (2006 e-350, 2002 clk430, 2005 c-240) all others were great, no problems at all. anyone else having issues like this? everytime i see someone driving this vehicle they it's been good?????
Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Almost a Member!

MB GLK 2010
You should report your car as a Lemon since they have not fixed the problems with numerous attempts. I have had countless problems (10 times to dealer) with my ML350 since I got it in 2006 (see my previous posts). My right rear is rattling ALOT when going over bumps, but I haven't got it fixed because I have to drive 2 HOURS one way to get it fixed. This is my first experience with Mercedes (aka Mer*****Ty) and had great expectations. But with this car my expectation is very low now. I am not impressed with the dealer when I get my car fixed. Toyota and Honda dealers seem to be more friendlier and more open minded. I can't wait to get my lease over! I should go back to Japanese car: Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura or Nissan/Infiniti. I might even think of getting a Lincoln. LOL...
Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Sounds to me like your dealer is a lemon, not the ML. Deliver a car with door dents?? I also question the fact that he changed the hatch pull down rwice, thats usually a switch adjustment. Used foam stuffed in the headliner to quiet rattles? Thats hiding the problem not fixing it. I have been fortunate as I have not experienced any of that stuff with my 06 ML500 and I have an excellent dealer.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ML500
I have a 2006 ML 500 and have had several issues as well, although not as many as you. The car has run well for the past couple of months, so I'm hoping...

I agree that your dealer is suspect. My local dealer is fabulous and has taken some of the the sting out of the disappointing (so far) quality of my vehicle by being extremely accommodating, as well as very effective with their repairs. They seem to be genuinely concerned if owners aren't totally happy with their vehicles, and treat even small problems like they are major ones. I had a rattle coming form the C pillar of my car and expected the usual dealership BS , ie, "that's how they all sound" "nothing we can do about that" etc. The technician rode along with me and verified the noise and said "yes, that's annoying; I wouldn't put up with that either." Anyway, I know these guys are probably trained to say stuff like that, but it goes a long way in making you feel like the top dollar you spent got you something other than an unreliable vehicle. They also set me up with a brand new C class loaner with AWD (I live in Maine) which was greatly appreciated since I dropped my car off in a snow storm.

By the way, installing foam may be hiding the problem, but that's what was recommended in a service bulletin from Mercedes in regard to my C pillar rattle. So far the foam spacer they installed in my ML seems to be working.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM

2006 ML500
The original owner of my ML500 06 had some issues with the tailgate as well. I've got a rattle on my dash, but I attribute it to the aftermarket parktronic and motorola bluetooth the original owner put in.
All in all, this is by far the best Benz I've ever owned quality-wise. A huge leap from the CL500, CL600, E55, and S55 that I owned. I do miss all the power those cars had though!!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 PM

I am well aware that foam can be a "factory fix" for certain issues. I guess that what really gets me is that 44+ thousand dollars for a car should get one that has screws and insulation between panels to secure them. The vehicle should be quite over rough roads, and last but not least, for the price, the electronics should work. if they can't get tail gate closers to work, they should not have them on the car.
as with your trips to the dealer, technicians alway's ride to verify the concerns, and 90% of the time the concerns are demonstrated, repairs are made, but noises just come back. and when they can be heard over the radio, it's annoying
Old 04-04-2008, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by henryclk
I am well aware that foam can be a "factory fix" for certain issues. I guess that what really gets me is that 44+ thousand dollars for a car should get one that has screws and insulation between panels to secure them. The vehicle should be quite over rough roads, and last but not least, for the price, the electronics should work. if they can't get tail gate closers to work, they should not have them on the car.
as with your trips to the dealer, technicians alway's ride to verify the concerns, and 90% of the time the concerns are demonstrated, repairs are made, but noises just come back. and when they can be heard over the radio, it's annoying
Your car may be "special" My 06 ML500 is very tight and has no rattles or creaks. The tail gate closes just fine. When new it needed a minor adjustment, took 5 minutes and has been perfect ever since. Have had zero issues with it. Its my 3rd ML and by far the best one. I have had the vehicle since Sept 05 and will replace it as a matter of course in 09. Have not yet decided with what. maybe an S Class or maybe another ML. Sorry to hear of your issues but its my belief that perhaps you should look at the dealer.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:13 PM

ML500 AMG pkg
I agree, the dealer is to blame! I bought the first 06 fully loaded ML 500 AMG sport pakage at my dealer (69K) and it's been an awsome vehicle!!!! I had the same issue with the tailgate and at the second visit they contacted MB engeneering and solved the issue. The steering wheel chrome peeled at 4K miles, they replaced it.....32K miles later still good, no rattles (I drive mainly on smooth roads where do you drive? Cobble stones? I truely belive that any vehicle is only as good as the people behind the service. Sorry to hear you're not happy with your ML.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 PM

i drive generaly on smooth roads, but of course the route to work is a road that has some seperation and the road to home torn up a little as well. the highway's i travel on are smooth and the car has no problems there. like i said with the other 3 mercedes i have had, same roads and commutes, and no noises, no problems, and definatly, not the electrical issues of this car
Old 04-06-2008, 04:06 AM

ML350 inspiration 2004
Arrow SORRY to hear that ...

One of the people above wrote that "I truely belive that any vehicle is only as good as the people behind the service." THIS IS THE TRUTHEST TRUTH !!!

My dealers unfortunately sucks !!! I have a feeling that nobody no longer gives a SH... about things. Everytime it's like whatever - it's just the car, but not for me I love my car and I am not gonna change. Anybody agree with me ?!

Anyway I feel sorry for problems that you're writing about. Tomorrow I will see with the guy that wants to sell 2006 Ml350 privately - I decided I will upgrade my ride form 2004 ML 350 inspiration to 2006 - don't know if it is good idea after reading above posts, but I will see the car anyway. Take care guys.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Almost a Member!

if you're updating your car every 2-3yrs, why don't you just lease the ML instead.. that way you get a new truck without the possiblities of someone elses previous nightmare
Old 04-06-2008, 05:37 PM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Here is my experience:

Tailgate
Three days after I got the car in 2006, the real tailgate lock was short-circuited; I drove around looking like a joker in a brand new car with tape holding the rear gate for the next two weeks. New lock came and short-circuited after five minutes. Car was in garage for ten days and finally after replacing relays and another new lock the problem was fixed.

Blower motor
Two months after purchase heater kept blowing hot air unto my feet, whole software was flashed and problem fixed.

Windshield
Front windshield cracked from bottom and up after 3000 miles, took it to the dealer who claimed it must have been a stone that had hit it, but there were not marks to indicate that. Had to pay for new windshield myself.

Tyres
Uneven tyre wear after 6000 miles and total tyre wear down after only 12000miles. Dealer blamed the lowering set but I’m certain that the crappy Michelin Diamaris tyres were defect from the beginning because my new tyres don’t show any uneven tyre wear.

Transmission
After 14 months the transmission failed, they flashed it a few times and said everything was fine. After 3-4 visits to the workshop they finally changed some electronic relay in the transmission. Problem solved but occasionally the transmission gives hard shifts.

Engine
Engine uses too much oil, it’s been 4000 miles since last service and I've poured in 3 litres oil already.

Nine visits to the workshop in 20 months and 18000 miles. I've decided to keep the car till 2009 and will replace it with the coming E or CLK.

Last edited by AR.Shah; 04-06-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 PM

2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Originally Posted by promatur
One of the people above wrote that "I truely belive that any vehicle is only as good as the people behind the service." THIS IS THE TRUTHEST TRUTH !!!

My dealers unfortunately sucks !!! I have a feeling that nobody no longer gives a SH... about things. Everytime it's like whatever - it's just the car, but not for me I love my car and I am not gonna change. Anybody agree with me ?!

Anyway I feel sorry for problems that you're writing about. Tomorrow I will see with the guy that wants to sell 2006 Ml350 privately - I decided I will upgrade my ride form 2004 ML 350 inspiration to 2006 - don't know if it is good idea after reading above posts, but I will see the car anyway. Take care guys.

I could not agree with you more!!

My dealer sucks too and I still can't get over it.

That being said, I love my ML and if you love your '04 you'll really love the '06 !! Whole new ride.

This is the nicest car I've ever owned. It is solid, quick, powerful and luxurious. Sorry for those that have had a bad experiences.

It seems that the ones that have problems have alot of them and others have none. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones but.... I love my ML
Old 04-08-2008, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by AR.Shah
Here is my experience:

Tailgate
Three days after I got the car in 2006, the real tailgate lock was short-circuited; I drove around looking like a joker in a brand new car with tape holding the rear gate for the next two weeks. New lock came and short-circuited after five minutes. Car was in garage for ten days and finally after replacing relays and another new lock the problem was fixed.

Blower motor
Two months after purchase heater kept blowing hot air unto my feet, whole software was flashed and problem fixed.

Windshield
Front windshield cracked from bottom and up after 3000 miles, took it to the dealer who claimed it must have been a stone that had hit it, but there were not marks to indicate that. Had to pay for new windshield myself.

Tyres
Uneven tyre wear after 6000 miles and total tyre wear down after only 12000miles. Dealer blamed the lowering set but I’m certain that the crappy Michelin Diamaris tyres were defect from the beginning because my new tyres don’t show any uneven tyre wear.

Transmission
After 14 months the transmission failed, they flashed it a few times and said everything was fine. After 3-4 visits to the workshop they finally changed some electronic relay in the transmission. Problem solved but occasionally the transmission gives hard shifts.

Engine
Engine uses too much oil, it’s been 4000 miles since last service and I've poured in 3 litres oil already.

Nine visits to the workshop in 20 months and 18000 miles. I've decided to keep the car till 2009 and will replace it with the coming E or CLK.
wow, you have had large problems. lucky for me it's beeen stuff that allows the vehicle to still be driven. I have to say, at this point i will never buy another ml. My new e class and the old clk I have were bullet proof, no noises and no problems. I still have to get the brake lights fixed andget the tail gate fixed for the 5th time. I also have to get the front end repaired as the squeaking has returned. I would be happy if the car only broke evry 13,500 miles when service is due, not every 3,000 miles.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Almost a Member!

once the Chrysler is washed out of these cars, then maybe MBenz will be top notch once again.... but Chrysler flushed MB with many subpar parts and technology, thus the degraded quality we've seen in MB products these past 5-6yrs!!!
Old 11-21-2021, 07:50 PM

2007 Mercedes ML350
Have you considered that the lock either wore out or the rear Sam is messed up I just finished working on my ML350 2007 and I had to replace both the rear Sam the liftgate lock because they both wore out Sam got wet burn up the liftgate motor