M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Front Bumper License Plate HOLES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 CDI
Front Bumper License Plate HOLES

I'm picking up my '08 ML320 on Monday (first MB and really excited). It was basically the only one left in the US that was Silver with Ash Leather interior so it's being shipped from another dealer. The state that the ML is coming from requires a front state license plate meaning that my ML has 2 holes drilled in the front bumper. I can't stand front license plates and asked my dealer if there were any plugs that could be put in the holes and he said that the only option he knew of was to have a body shop plug the holes, resand everything and repaint the bumper. I'm not too keen on repainting the most vulnerable part of my new truck and was wondering if anyone knew of any aftermarket plugs that would go in the holes. Body colored would be nice, but at this point I don't really care. I just don't want holes in my bumper (even if they are small)! I know Acura figured out that some of their customers don't want front plates and they provide plugs if you don't use the front plate bracket so I'd have thought MB would too, but obviously not. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Just thinking out loud

If you could find out the diameter of the holes you might be able to find some plastic plugs at you local hardware store. Something in grey or white that sits flush will probably not be noticable. The dealer can give you a little touch up paint to match.

Would be cool if you could find a few small star emblems something like the hood emblem or wheel hub cover but only around 3/8 of an inch diameter.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:02 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
I just saw this on another forum, might help...

Originally Posted by stewdy
I'm picking up my '08 ML320 on Monday (first MB and really excited). It was basically the only one left in the US that was Silver with Ash Leather interior so it's being shipped from another dealer. The state that the ML is coming from requires a front state license plate meaning that my ML has 2 holes drilled in the front bumper. I can't stand front license plates and asked my dealer if there were any plugs that could be put in the holes and he said that the only option he knew of was to have a body shop plug the holes, resand everything and repaint the bumper. I'm not too keen on repainting the most vulnerable part of my new truck and was wondering if anyone knew of any aftermarket plugs that would go in the holes. Body colored would be nice, but at this point I don't really care. I just don't want holes in my bumper (even if they are small)! I know Acura figured out that some of their customers don't want front plates and they provide plugs if you don't use the front plate bracket so I'd have thought MB would too, but obviously not. Any help would be appreciated!
http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html
Old 08-10-2008, 03:51 PM

ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by wonsuk_utmb

Thanks! I just bought a pair.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:19 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
just post some pics when you're done.

Originally Posted by stewdy
Thanks! I just bought a pair.