M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Voice Control Upgrade (Updated)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320CDI 2007
Voice Control Upgrade (Updated)

Well; you may recall I went out and got that retro fit kit from Micdity Engineering - and had it installed at the local stereo shop a while back...

Turns out the original installer fried the voice control board (significant burn mark on the circuit board), and only part fo the command set was working, and the cell volume was really low; Mid City was very good about allowing me to have the unit replaced by special exception, and sent me out a new one once we understood what was broken; The unit came a while ago, but I was away, and just got the install done (myself this time!) and the unit works flawless!

I now have full VC, for Navigation, Radio etc; I dont have an ipod (or the interface) to test that, but all else works great - bluetooth volume is now proper... there is no issues with the kit.. after doing this install myself, I have learned it was so easy that paying the stereo shop last time was a waste of money!

if you want to add the kit to your ML (it also works in the GL) - I would not hesitate in ordering it from Mid City - they were very prompt, and accommodating while trouble shooting, and sending me a new unit...

I hope for anyone else that wanted to Add VCS, you consider using the Mid City upgrade. Its all MB parts, easy to install, cables are built like factory - very professional instructions. If I didn't know where it came from, I would have had no issue believing it was a factory integration kit (from MB!)

Any way, if there is any questions, let me know... I know its been a awhile since I started this upgrade, so hopefully there is still a few people out there that recall the start of this!

tk
Old 08-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Hey TK,

I started the original thread... Good to hear your voice kit works! I'm still very interested in some sort of voice solution.

Did you have the voice buttons on your steering wheel and just added the voice kit or did you do the whole thing (kit and add buttons to steering wheel)?

Jose
Old 08-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320CDI 2007
I already had the buttons on the steering wheel; I've heard a few people say they have purchased the new Steering Wheel from EBAY for really cheap...

I dont know what it would take to swap out the wheels for the one with buttons, but I'm sure someone has done it! maybe its just a mater of popping out the buttons already there and adding in the 5 button version?

If I recall you had a chance to call Mid City before, where they able to tell you if that can supply the buttons also?

tk
Old 08-16-2008, 01:22 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
They didn't have a clear answer at the time. I e-mailed them today. I'll let you know what they say.

j.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
I heard back from MidCity today. I had asked a few questions. Here's what they replied:

My truck doesn't have the steering wheel voice buttons. Can those be
added? Do you supply them or I get my own? Is there wiring involved or just
snap off the current part and replace with the new one?
We can supply the wheel voice buttons. They are plug and play

Besides phone, radio and CD (per the video demo on your website)
does your kit also control navigation and iPod?
Yes on navigation, no on Ipod

Does DIY install require splicing wires or is it plug and play? I'm
not afraid of wiring :-)
All plug and play and instructions are included.

What is the kit's price?
Kit price is $1500 and an additional $360 for all three steering wheel buttons.

I thought the cost was going to be $600-$800. Fifteen hundred dollars is a lot for just voice control. For that kind of money, I'm wondering if I might be better off adding a few hundred bucks and getting the new Comand...