M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

wind noise coming in drivers side rear door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
wind noise coming in drivers side rear door

has anyone else experienced wind noise creeping in from either of the rear doors? dealer tells me it is normal but the passenger rear door has no noise and the driver's does. dealer tells me it is normal.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Absolutly not normal. Mine is very quiet with no wind noise anywhere.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
Originally Posted by darkalley
has anyone else experienced wind noise creeping in from either of the rear doors? dealer tells me it is normal but the passenger rear door has no noise and the driver's does. dealer tells me it is normal.
Even in high cross winds all my doors stay sealed, wish my pickup was like that. Check your weather stripping for obvious flaws and if that doesnt turn up anything try this old bodyshop trick. Take a dollar bill and slam it in the door close to the suspect noise, then tug on it the bill, if you can pull it out, you don't have even ''squeeze '' on your weather stripping and it either needs to be replaced or the door and or door latch needs to be adjusted. Either way , its a warranty issue.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 PM

ML350
noise is still there...... painful. they adjusted the latch but nada.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
noise is still there...... painful. they adjusted the latch but nada.
See if you can take a tech with you on a test drive. He can sit by the offending door and see first hand what you are experiencing. Keep us posted
Old 11-08-2008, 05:26 PM

ML350
i actually took the tech out friday. he claimed the noise was "normal". he felt the noise was the same in both the passenger and drivers rear door. i had two friends ride in the car they all said the passengers door was quiet, the drivers door clearly had a wind noise.

i was actually able to manipulate the sound by pushing on the seal in a certain spot. i guess i need a tech with better ears. i am picking up the plates next week so i will have the tech ride with me again. aside from that and the freakin learning curve with the nav the car is great. i can't believe mercedes has me complimenting my m3's i-drive.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:13 PM

2008 Ml 350, 2000 Ml 430
i actually took the tech out friday. he claimed the noise was "normal". he felt the noise was the same in both the passenger and drivers rear door. i had two friends ride in the car they all said the passengers door was quiet, the drivers door clearly had a wind noise.

i was actually able to manipulate the sound by pushing on the seal in a certain spot. i guess i need a tech with better ears. i am picking up the plates next week so i will have the tech ride with me again. aside from that and the freakin learning curve with the nav the car is great. i can't believe mercedes has me complimenting my m3's i-drive.

you know what i have the same problem. i heard the whistling noise while riding in the back seat and its very annoying. never told the techs thou.. i thought it was normal..another thing with my ml is that the passenger seat squeaks which is very very disturbing. i brought the tech for this one and he said he doesnt hear anything idk but other than this the New ML is AMAAZING..
Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 AM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Isn't it odd how all dealers one ever uses seen to employ only techs with bad hearing? I've experienced the same :-)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S

Another trick is to use masking tape on the outside of the door. If you can make the noise go away, just note where the tape needs to go and then demo it to the tech with and without. By the way, my rear doors are silent.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by MMundrean
you know what i have the same problem. i heard the whistling noise while riding in the back seat and its very annoying. never told the techs thou.. i thought it was normal..another thing with my ml is that the passenger seat squeaks which is very very disturbing. i brought the tech for this one and he said he doesnt hear anything idk but other than this the New ML is AMAAZING..
I also had the squeaking passenger seat, but it was intermittent for some reason. I was able to push down on the seat bottom to demo to the tech and they replaced the seat bottom.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Hi. Did you get this resolved? I just bought a 2009 ML350 a few days ago. Just noticed the miserable wind noise coming from the driver's side passenger door (or perhaps even driver's door--not sure yet).

Will be calling my dealer Monday for an appt.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM

ML350
just realized i never put up an update. dealer replaced the inner and outer door seal and this fixed the problem.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:25 PM

2001 ML-320 and 1999 E-320
I think I have the same problem , but to my surprise I get of the car and I noticed that the whislte came from ther top front of the rear axle , and my gas indicator is acting up, I been checking I think the noise is the rear fuel filter or the pump... due to I checked the door seals, windows and it is tie as a freezer door :-)