M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

New Person Here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Jeep GC CRD
New Person Here

hello all, I just joined your forum today with the primary goal of learning more about the OM642 diesel engine. I don't own a MB, I own a 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD. We have come to learn that there is very little support outside of the MB world for our engines and I hope to pick up on some information from you all.

One of the first issues we have noticed, that I assume you all already know about, is oil leakage/"consumption" as a result of the closed PCV/CCV system with no "catch can" system.

An additional area that we are looking to learn more on is the many operating issues of the automatic transmission (W5A580 and W5J400). I've noticed that MB seems to issue frequent TSBs for general transmission and ECU-TCU communication issues (including slight commo delays). We (Jeep owners) get rare updates and are faced with service departments and techs that know very little about our engines. Many of us have resorted to going to MB dealers for parts and service.

Looking forward to interacting with you all!

Last edited by johnniebravo; 11-15-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
If you're saying Jeep is fitting the same 7-speed automatic transmission as Mercedes, then it's true there's lots of software updates, etc. and there has not been a successful solution yet.

Any excessive oil consumption issues are isolated incidents and there is no known design defect that I've read of. Mine has no problems.

You can go to http://www.startekinfo.com and subscribe for 24 hours for $18 and read every bulletin Mercedes has issued. Try chassis 164.822 which is a GL320CDI.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Jeep GC CRD
No we didn't get the 7 speed, we got the 5 speed. Regarding the oil, it is just a normal effect of a diesel engine without a CCV system catch can like the racor or Mann-Provent. I am not sure if you guys have them, but the Jeeps don't.

Our dealers are clueless in the U.S., in the UK they are a little better but still limited by the limited efforts of Chrysler overall.