M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

HID Kit for ML550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML550
HID Kit for ML550

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2009 ML550 with Package 2 and Heating Package. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the Lighting Package. Apparently they didn't have any in California.

I was wondering if you all could tell me what I needed to convert my headlights into HID and where I can purchase them.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 PM

08 ML350; 07' Acura RDX; 05'FX45; 03'Murano
eBay, and take the cheap ones. they have almost the same quality, but make sure they include two bulb ring adaptors to fit your low beam holes. Even your MB original low and high beams need adaptors in order to use regular H7 halos, and they are different between lo and hi. LOL. Don't know why MB do that.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec.
l'm just curious...

Originally Posted by layshee
Hello All,

I just purchased a 2009 ML550 with Package 2 and Heating Package. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the Lighting Package. Apparently they didn't have any in California.

I was wondering if you all could tell me what I needed to convert my headlights into HID and where I can purchase them.

Thanks
You live in California and you purchased the "heating package"..do you live in Northern California ??????
Old 01-10-2009, 01:12 AM

08 GL 450 / 09 ml 320 / 10 ml350
Do you need to wire to battery with those extra boxes?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:21 AM

ML
Dont be cheap you bought a expensive car why give it cheap parts. Get a brand name kit that is known. And purchase it from a reliable source. Get good kit otherwise you will end up changing the ballasts and bulbs every couple months.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:59 PM

ML550
Thanks for the replies guys. What good brands are out there? Do I just need the bulb or do I need the entire HID conversion kit?

I live in SoCal but and sometimes the heating package comes in handy but I didn't have a choice. That was what they had. I really wanted the lighting package too but they didn't have it.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
There are no "good brands."

There's no such thing as a viable conversion of a system designed for halogen bulbs. It's illegal, too.

You should install complete new headlight units purchased from Mercedes.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Old 01-12-2009, 02:44 PM

07 350ML
easy to do

Youll hear a lot of 'why you dont want to' and 'illegal' stuff on here; valid to an extent, but if you want to do it (I live in socal too...and its more then norm here), the kit to get is the Mtech one...on ebay - look for seller 'onspire' or onspire.com -- they come totally plug and play, no computer programming or anything necessary. the 4500k kit is the brightest, whitest and whats basically stock. I have the 6000k kit, and its kind of light purple/blue which I like. make sure to specify which model car etc., as they come with an adaptor that fits right into the socket of the projectors for our mbz. Its a very fast swapout, and its a huge improvement. The beam pattern is not as wide as with an OEM kit, but the brightness etc is there, and with this kit and the existing projectors, there is no spill like on most retrofits, so safety etc, is a non issue; in my experience anyway.
With their kit, the ballast and ignitor is all in one, there is no need to run wires anywhere, or cut anything etc. its literally as simple as plugging the ends together and fitting the lamp into the housing. This manufacturer is an OEM maker for many asian automobiles, ergo, its more expensive than the others, but the quality is dramatically better, and the instal and use is as simple as it gets.

Last edited by napaink; 01-12-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: more to add
Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 PM

ML550
Thanks a lot. That helped me a lot. I will look into that.

LS
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM

08 ML350; 07' Acura RDX; 05'FX45; 03'Murano
Originally Posted by napaink
Youll hear a lot of 'why you dont want to' and 'illegal' stuff on here; valid to an extent, but if you want to do it (I live in socal too...and its more then norm here), the kit to get is the Mtech one...on ebay - look for seller 'onspire' or onspire.com -- they come totally plug and play, no computer programming or anything necessary. the 4500k kit is the brightest, whitest and whats basically stock. I have the 6000k kit, and its kind of light purple/blue which I like. make sure to specify which model car etc., as they come with an adaptor that fits right into the socket of the projectors for our mbz. Its a very fast swapout, and its a huge improvement. The beam pattern is not as wide as with an OEM kit, but the brightness etc is there, and with this kit and the existing projectors, there is no spill like on most retrofits, so safety etc, is a non issue; in my experience anyway.
With their kit, the ballast and ignitor is all in one, there is no need to run wires anywhere, or cut anything etc. its literally as simple as plugging the ends together and fitting the lamp into the housing. This manufacturer is an OEM maker for many asian automobiles, ergo, its more expensive than the others, but the quality is dramatically better, and the instal and use is as simple as it gets.
I just got their 2 year warranty honored. No question asked. Good PR.